Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I just went out and got my licenses and now I need to ask a question. I got a Salt water license for the first time and would like to be sent in the right direction on what flies to use out there. Right now the first way I want to go is Cutthroat flies. The salt water kind. The resy will come later. I guess I could do a search but I'm lazy.

Jim

·
Registered
364 Posts
Some productive saltwater cutthroat flies include- Clouser minnows in various colors with olive and white being my favorit color, all sorts of epoxy flies to represent candlefish and small herring, muddler minnows which look like sculpins, scuds in tan, grey and various other colors to represent an amphipod which is vary similar to a scud, dry flies including just about any medium to big(size 6# to 14#) attracter dry fly that floats really well so you can skate them on the surface and poppers of various size, shapes and colors. There are lots of flies that will catch cutts in the salt these are just a few that I have had succes with.:thumb

fly15

·
Banned
177 Posts
Jim-- Keep it simple to start-- Clouser minnows with x-small nickel-plated lead eyes are great. Try cerise and white, yellow or chartreuse and white, olive and white, and angelhair in baitfish and pearl. Another option is to use brown marabou over white marabou. I'm beginning to believe that there is a definite preference for patterns/colors based on where you fish. The south Sound cutts seem to prefer sculpin colors more than they do up here.

Also, you must be fishing with topwater flies (don't like calling poppers and gurglers "dry flies" for some reason). Cutts will take flies skated or popped on top much of the time-- even over baitfish imitators.

And if you're lazy, try a short-hackled, conehead wooly bugger in burnt orange (or in sculpin brown, or in white...). I had pretty good luck on that last fall. The hackle should be short, really short, though.

I wouldn't waste my money on stainless hooks-- I've had really good luck fishing Mustad's black nickel finishes. I'm trying Gamakatsu's version now as well.

Find the fish and you should have a blast.

Keith

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I guess that I'm not to lazy after all. I went out and did some looking around at a few web sites for Clousers. And they look like they're easy to tie. I have most of the ingredents(sp). Except my hooks are the ones I use for steelheading. I went to Salmon fly. net which is from this site and saw a few that one with shakey fingers can tie.:thumb but after a few of these:beer1 :beer1 :beer1 my shakes seem to go away.

Jim

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I posted quite a bit about the SRC fishing in the sound on another thread a while back. I dont remember the name of the thread but i know you read it and commented on my poor spelling and ability to read. If you can find that thread there is a lot of information.
One thing about flies is that i dont think you have to tie great looking flies to catch cutts. Cutts are so aggressive that if they see something that looks like a baitfish or something that triggers their feeding instinct, they wont mess around looking at it. They crush almost anything that comes infront of them when they are on the prowel.
I like to tie a very simple fly with a silver body, a little crystal flash, some white bucktail, and some peacock hurl for a back. Maybe a little blue under the peacock. They are skinny simple flies but very effective.
I usually tie them on a stainless steel hook, brand doesn't matter. size 2,4 or 6 depending on the size of the candle fish around.
one thing that can really make your flies more effective is to make sure you dont tie the flies too long. 1-2 inches max is probably best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.