Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sitting down to the vise to create some flies for beach fishing on the Canal. I know of the Chum Candy pattern, but does anyone have another version or different creation that atracts saltwater chum, and on what type ofline do you fish it? Thanks in advance.

Bill.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Steve Raymond in his book "The Estuary Flyfiher" recomends a lime green woolly bugger as an altrnative chum pattern. The recipe is pretty simple:Size 6-10 salmon hook, Lime green thread, Lime green marabou mixed with clear krystal flash for the tail, Lime green chenille body, lime green hackle palmered up the body and fuller near the head of the fly. I also have done well tying a short chartruse bunny strip at the head of a #6 saltwater hook. Good luck.

·
Registered
729 Posts
i have tried a unweighted egg sucking leech, dead drifted with the occasoianl twith and i swear that has gotten fish to bite. looks alot like corky and yarn. chums colors. pink body with purple head seems to be my most confident bait. tried it at low tide on the flats win i know it could not have just drifted in there mouth like at high tide. went cutthroat fishin today and got skunked. blown out. hope this storm passes, pretty nise blackmouth being caught out in the sound. got a few good shallow water blackmoth and greenling/cabezon spots to check out with the boat. SALTWATER IS KING later Ben

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Bill,
I've done well with a simple pattern I tied this year. Tie in a small plume of cerise marabou for a tail. The body is cerise chennile with cerise saddle hackle palmered over it to the head. I completed the fly with small real eyes. I can tie a bunch up in a half hour. Good Luck, and thanks for your help on those Quinault Dollies last summer.......Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.