Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out to some mid-sound beaches 5-10 times and feel a little intimidated by the miles of beach. I guess I'm just used to reading a river. I was thinking about taking a class for saltwater flyfishing. Is it worth the price or can I get the same instruction from videos, books, and this here forum?

-Tim

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Les Johnson puts on saltwater fly fishing classes at Patrick's Fly Shop (206-325-8988) from time to time. There are no videos and very few books that address fishing the beaches for salmon and cutthroat. Until Les' new book on the coastal cutthroat comes out (hopefully before spring) the only one that I can think of that covers it at all is Steve Raymond's "The Estuary Flyfisher". If you'll contact me at [email protected], I'll e-mail you some notes I've made on beach fishing.

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
Avid Angler puts on Saltwater classes too.

But beach fishing is fairly simple. You want to fish beaches with something interesting happening. Kelp beds, tidal rips, rocky bottoms, fast current margins are all interesting places.

SRCs like stream and river mouths, rocky bottoms, wood and kelp.

Salmon follow migratory routes and will occasionally stray for feeding. Bait fish like kelp beds, and low current places in high current areas. The salmon, when available are with them.

Check out www.pugetsoundflyfishing.com, hit the Avid Angler, take a class if you want, but talk it up. This whole discussion has me jonesin' for a trip to the beach. I'm no great beach fisherman, but there are many around, and you might want to talk it up before plunking cash down.

The Estuary Flyfisher is an interesting book. So is the older version of Fly Fishing for Salmon by Les Johnson and others. Then talk to others about where they go, and if they score.

Commonly fly fishers are found at Doc's Place on the west side of the Tacoma Narrows and at Lincoln Park, and I am often found at Richmond Beach, Kayak Point, Picnic Point, Deception Pass, Ala Spit, and Possession Point. But there are thouslands of places to fish on the beach. One thing I don't discount are the non-salmonids, I have plenty of fun with flounder and sculpins. I would love to catch a cabezon, ling cod or halibut on a fly. I know its a strech, but winter is coming.

Rob

---------
Genetic pollution damages wild
stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Kaufmann's in Seattle puts them on a few times a year but I think they do it in the summer in anticipation of the really good beach fishing in late summer/fall. The older gentlemen, Blair, who works there is quite knowledgable about beach fishing. Go buy a couple Blair's Baiters there and he would probably be delighted to share some of his wisdom.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wyo -

I know the feeling. I have fished N. sound on beaches for the last couple years and it can be kind of intimidating, especially since it takes so much time exploring (which is OK, but still...).

Though I have a few favorite beaches, I took the opportunity to do a couple of guide trips --- well worth the $$ and experience. I would recommend the NW Angler in Poulsbo. The owner/manager is Troy Dettman and they have a class (spring - summer I think) where they take you via car to 3 -4 beaches in a day. I took my dog with me, they are really cool about it. Also, my fishing buddy and me hired a guide this summer and launched from Hood Canal Bride. We fished from a 20' Boston Whaler and did a drift style fishing, following the tide. Nailed numerous 17" - 19" Cuttys using top-water poppers - it was awesome. The guide was out of Pt. Townsend...I think www.searunangler.com. I highly recommend.

Otherwise, search out the best spots and put some time into it. Everybody has an opinion about tides....I say fish it when you can and good luck. :THUMBSUP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.