Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on hitting the saltwater in the general Des Moines area in the next week or two to try out my boat that I seem to having running good finally. All that is left is some new battery terminals to be put on. I plan to keep the trip close to home until I am sure its running well just in case. Anyone out there have any reports for the area or who can let me know what is bitting and a general area where. I will be launching out of Des Moines and can cover some water in my 15 Arima with a 70HP outboard and would love to fish for something other then SRC unless that all that on the bite right now. I have caught quite a few trout this year and I need to catch something diffrent. I would love to hook into some rockfish or a salmon or two. I have both a 6 weight and an 8 weight ready to go. Any one out there hit the salt recently? Once I have made some trail runs I would be willing to travel further but for now I want to keep the trip close to home.:dunno Any advise on areas to hit or fish to try for would be helpful as well as how deep to try for the fish. While I have caught a few src and one small blackmouth salmon on a fly I am still a rookie when it comes to saltwater fishing but I had fun last year giving it a try and wanting to try again.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I have fished that general area for way too many years to count. Caught my first salmon off the Dash point pier in August of 1953. Salt is my favorit place to fish and I fish that area a lot. I won't give you specifics but I will give you some clues. first off a depth sounder is important. June is not the best salmon month out there but being persistent you can pick up some decent Kings. My biggest June fish was 18 pounds. Fish early and prefferably on a tide change. NOt totally essential at day light. Look for bait showing in close at day light, maybe in 50 feet or less of water. Fish those areas you see bait, either feeding or being fed upon. Early light you can fish fairly shallow, say in the top 25 feet of water or so. By mid July the resident silvers shoud be large enough to consider and that is a totally unique fishery.
Something to think about, Searun cutts work in close to shore, what else might just work the same water in the trout family? By the way please leave the Rock fish alone, they are really depressed and it takes them a long time to get to be table fare. Just bringing them up generally kills them. I read they grow at the rate of about an inch per year. Besides I would be very cautious about eating anything that lived on the bottom in that part of the sound. The health dept. doesn't recomend eating any shelfish in that part of the sound. As far as I am concerned that includes crab and shrimp. feel free to e-mail me and we can discuss this further.
Dave

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Somebodys lying about their age here. 1953 That would make you 55 and you said somewhere around here that you were only 55. What did you do fish at 3 months of age or younger :p :p :p :p :p :* :+

The unknown poster:dunno

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
That is right I am 55, I was born in 1947 so by the math I was 6 in 1953. I will be 56 this year. So 2003 minus 1947 equals what, I believe that is 56 this year. So in 1953 I have to be six. New math you know! Your calculator is like mine, the buttons are just to small LOL
Actually I was at the back half of five when I caught my first salmon, as it was in August and my birthday is after that.
Good try Jim, you had me scared for a minute. I thought I went over that big 60 mark for a minute. Had to look at my drivers license to be sure. You know how that is, right!
Dave :beer1

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Now I'm screwed up. I think that I was adding when I should have been subtracting and subtracting when I should have been adding. Boy,being old I can't even thimk straight anymore.:bawling

Jim

G

·
Try this math, Old Man, to get your bearings straight:
Flat-tailed, bucktoothed rodent + isolated creek + cutts = X; solve for X. If you can figure that one out, I think you'll be just fine.
Wildram
:beer2

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.