Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· o_clarki
200 Posts
I know, here is the first one saying (s)he is going to be late with their flies...I know...I committed and now can't perform. I am still in the swap, I have six down, six more to go, and I should be done by tomorrow (if I get more of my material by then).
To make this threat something more than just a lousy excuse for my lack of organization I want to bring this up:

This experience (the fly swap) has been very interesting. I usually never tie more than three flies in a row using the exact same pattern and the exact same colors. I usually get bored after two flies, and then tie up something else (ADD ?).Now I have been tying six flies, and by tommorrow it will be 12 flies of the exact same colors, material, and pattern (for the most part). I don't think I will ever stock my fly boxes that way, but it sure makes a nice little army on my desk.

How do other people stock their fly boxes ? Like me tie 50 million different patterns, stuff them into the box until it looks like a hippy sweater torn-up and stuffed into a box. Or do you tie only 3-5 useful patterns/colors and have a whole bunch of them ?
Just wondering.

· o_clarki
200 Posts
A dozen of "Wooley Spider snots" went in the mail yesterday. A great SRC and chum fly, and a "transformer" fly. If you just want a spider, take off the the marabou and hackle; if you want a snot dart take of the hackle and the mallard, etc. But usually you don't have to worry about that, the fish will modify the fly for you.;) Enjoy.

Florian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.