Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,098 Posts
I am very happy to have recieved all my flies too. (To whoever got the Yak Hair candlefish with the very lopsided head, my apologies; first batch of the year. Ask everybody else for testemonial to my epoxying prowess.)

I do have some questions. Who's is the tiny little euphasid? (A+! and gutsy size.) Who's is the purple Clouser, and what is that hair? Is it Yak or PB? I also very much liked the little streamer on the TMC 200; who? It is very BC-ish, and looks like a good go-to when the fish are tight lipped, yes?

I'm sure I have more, but I don't have the files right in front of me. But I do look forward to fishing them all. Congrats everybody.:thumb

· o_clarki
200 Posts
I got mine as well. Thanks guys ! I am surprised that many flies were somewhat similar, small sparse epoxy flies, I hardly ever use those kind of flies down here in the south sound. I think the baitfish population is not as large as further up, so fish down here key into amphipods, worms and other stuff. But who knows, I guess I should really give these designs a little more chance from now on.
I had one questions to everybody who participated:
What is your fly representing and what fish do they catch with it ?

Mine is the Wooley Bugger looking "Wooley Spider Snots" which looks like alot of different things, but the main thing is the pile worm or polychaete (sp?) worm which is a the main food source for sea-run cutthroat in the saltwater when chum fry are not around. Hence I use it for salt chucks but the color also attracts chum salmon. It can be fished deep and slow (like the worm) or striped fast (baitfish).

Anybody else wants to give a little description about their fly ?

Florian

· Registered
805 Posts
Mine was the olive/white epoxy Surf Candy in the Bob Popovics style - epoxy goes past the hook bend to prevent material fouling around the hook.

Imitates smaller sand lance/candle fish (will get to 4-6" by end of summer). I use it for silvers in the north sound and up through Whidbey and the San Juans.

Jim

· Fish Recycler
679 Posts
Mine was the chartreuse/brown/white clouser with krystal flash.

What can I say? It's a clouser. The only difference between mine and others that I've seen is that I don't match the thread color to the predominant material color - I always use red. I like the idea that red looks like blood or gills - or at least that it triggers a strike, and I believe that it does.

Hope it triggers a few for you guys - thanks again for the great flies. :thumb

Teeg.

· Registered
229 Posts
I was supposed to send some flies in, but got confused on the dates. I thought they were due in July. I've been way up in B.C. looking for trout the last couple weeks. I guess I'm stuck with a bunch of my own flies.

My apology.

Derek

· A collector never stops collecting!
4,845 Posts
If you want to, I could send you one of the Thorne River Emergers that I tied up and got back and you could send me one of the flies you tied up. I would love to see what you tied up, since I am again amazed at the quality of the flies from the swap! I thought all the flies were awesome and hope that some of you will post the patterns when we get some pictures up in the gallery!

This was my second swap, and although I will be waiting a while to do another since it takes me so long to tie up a bunch of fles. Just email or PM me with your address and I'll do the same if you're interested.

Bill :beer2

· A collector never stops collecting!
4,845 Posts
No the Thorne River emerger is on a saltwater Gamakatsu SC15 hook, has a black thread head, and is the baitfish pattern with the white and olive bucktail, pearl krystal flash, and peacock hearl. Pretty easy to tie, especially compared to most of the other entries!

I was originally going to tie a Ray's fly, but I think someone else tied it up or at least something similiar. It has an epoxy head and I've haven't worked with epoxy yet and didn't have the time to try something new.

Bill

· Registered
805 Posts
If anyone (MAC???) can take pictures of the swap flies - my x-wife has my only camera (I guess not mine anymore...), and the digital I borrowed did not have a macro lense - I'd be very greatful. Then they can be posted in the gallery. The patterns are truly worthy of sharing with everyone on the site.

Jim W

· Registered
364 Posts
I usually fish it with a clear intermediate line and about an 8ft leader. I usually let it drift with the current or retrive it with short slow strips. It works great for fishing over selective fish that won't take a baitfish pattern. Also the silvers here in the south sound in January thru March often feed on the euphasids near the surface in schools of anywhere from 5 to 200 coho.

fly15

· o_clarki
200 Posts
5 to 200 resident coho ??? I hate to ask, but where do you target resident silvers in those numbers in the south sound ? I fish the the south sound heavily but only get a silver once in a while. I heard about the beaches around the Tacoma Narrows is a good place, any other ones ?

· Registered
53 Posts
I might be able to do the pics thing for the flies. Let me see if I can steal a digital camera from one of my co-workers for a day. I'll try to remember tomorrow. One of them might look a little wet though :)

My fly was the traditional looking number on the gold TMC hook. It's really just a try at Rod Haig Brown's general fry without the right materials. I'ts accounted for one of my (2 :dunno ) saltwater cutts and a little perch that liked it too.

Everyone's flies look really really nice. I never did get the hang of the clousers, epoxy or other sandlance type patterns. It's nice to have some new examples to work from.

Billy

· Registered
364 Posts
I fly fish from a boat and have found the resident silvers from Point Fosdick to Point Richmond(sp?). The only time I have encountered a school of silvers over 100 fish was near Point Richmond and I fished that school of about 200 fish for 3 hours catching and loosing fish non stop. At one point the school of silvers swam under the boat when I was in about 15ft of water so I got an excellent look at the huge school of 12" to 16" inch coho.
That was in March and was the only time I found any silvers this last winter from January until March(I fished 5 times from January to March).

This last winter was horable for me with the exception of the one day, usually you can almost always find a few resident silvers in the winter but this last winter was really tuff for whatever reason. The key to finding the fish is covering as much water as possible, I just cruise the beaches in my boat until I see a fish jump then I fish, If I don't see any fish I either go home or just pick a likely spot and hope for the best.

fly15

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.