Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys- I have been fly fishing for trot and steelhead for a couple years on rivers and lakes, but have never been fishing in saltwater. I realize this may be a silly question, but is there anything special you need to have for fishing the sound? I have a single handed 9 wt rod and floating line, will that work? Do I need a different saltwater setup? Obviously, I would need to wash the salt off, but I didn't want to ruin anything. I am bored with no rivers to fish till june, and I don't have a boat, so lakes annoy me quickly. Thanks for any and all help!!

-Mike

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Your rod will work just fine, however it will be overkill for the SRC and resident silvers you will most likely be encountering right now. For the bigger fish in the fall it should be fine. However, in the name of not purchasing new gear, you can certainly get by with that setup.

Nick

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Most guys fish the salt with 5 to 8 wt. rods. Many, like myself, choose to use an intemediate sink tip like a Rio Outbound. And one thing you might consider seriously is some kind of stripping basket if you plan to beach fish. You can get an Orvsi basket for about $60 or go to the Dollar Store for a dish pan and bungie cord. It doesn't make much difference but using a basket on the beach will pay dividends immediately.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Make sure your reel and rod's reel seat are salt water safe. If they are rinse well in fresh water (I remove my reels and toss them in a plastic coffee can full of water that I keep in my truck) and the rod paying particular attention to the reel seat and hardware. I only fish a 9wt for Chum, and fish lighter rods for Sea Run Cutthroat Trout, resident Coho, ocean return Coho and Pinks in odd numbered calendar years. Normally I do this with my 6wt, either a 9'6" or 10' length. I think your 9 will be a bit much, but if you can cast it well and it is paid for you might as well use it. Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
I have a single handed 9 wt rod and floating line, will that work? Do I need a different saltwater setup? Obviously, I would need to wash the salt off, but I didn't want to ruin anything. -Mike
What weight is your rod? If it's a 5 or 6wt, you're good. You may want an intermediate sink line as a second line. It would be good if your reel were anodized and sealed for saltwater use.

Leland.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome!! Thanks, guys. I do have a 5 weight, too. Perhaps I will look at getting a second reel and line for saltwater and hit the beaches. Thanks again!!

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
If you get serious about a reel for your five weight, and you're on a budget, you might consider the Tioga 6 with a spare spool, that someone has for sale here in the Classifieds. I have the same reel as my primary salt reel and it's held up really well for about four years. Sometimes I even get to go fishing and actually use it.

Mumbles has a good idea - anything you can do to keep your gear rinsed will help out. I usually wait to get home and then unspool my line into a sink of hot water, then take off the spool and drop both pieces in. Let it all soak, then make sure you clean and dry it all thoroughly, add some "hot sauce" to the spindle, and clean and treat your line periodically. It'll pay off in spades if you make the effort to keep your salt gear in good order.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.