Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey dudes,

Like to hook up with Mustad # 8 .......92608 SS series.

And Mustad # 8 and # 10.........80400D series. The 'D' stands for 'duratin' and doesn't, they say, rust so much. Anyone out there tried either of these hooks?

You can't get them up here ( Canada ). Any retailers down there carryin' them?

thanks

·
Registered
728 Posts
just curious why you want mustad so bad? gamakatsu ss15,SL11-3h, or sc15 wide gap salt water hooks are a far superior hook or just a regular black octopus gammie for bigger flies. missed fish become a thing of the past with gamakatsu hooks, there not to kind on your back thou. I have 34007 stainless steel in various popular sizes but quit using them becuase there to dull for my likeing and the flies have been not used for some time made on those and they never have rusted.

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art

·
Registered
156 Posts
So far I have had pretty good luck with Mustad saltwater series#34011 size 2, but I refuse to use any of there freshwater hooks. I have had great luck with dai-riki hooks and they are not that expensive. I am unsure about the Canada thing, what are you fishing for?

good luck,

Mcronariver

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
Don't be dissing any of Mustad's hooks, especially the new chemically sharpened series. I have some of them in the SS Popper series, and circle streamer series, and they rock. Sharp as razor blades with an excellent finish, and hooks that the Japanese haven't even begun to think about.

Rob

·
Banned
177 Posts
I just checked my Mustad catalogs, and I can't find either hook style, so my guess is both have been dropped. It's a shame that the 80400 series (I like the BLN) was dropped. It was a great saltwater hook, even though it wasn't Duratin plated or stainless. I've had really good luck with Mustad's black nickel coating resisting rust in the salt.

On the Gamakatsu/Mustad debate, I'll weigh in on the side of Mustad, at least to the point of not dismissing them. The new CS series is very, very good. The hooks are extremely sharp, and they resist rust nearly as well as stainless. And the new Partridge (owned by Mustad) SALAR is superb.

I do use the 34007, but it isn't a chemically sharpened model. A Luhr Jensen hook file takes care of that quite well. When I'm tying on these hooks, I sharpen the hook and pinch the barb before I put it in the vise.

As far as Gamakatsu goes, I've good luck with their hooks, and they have some styles Mustad doesn't. Both companies make quality hooks. It's just with Mustad, you'll find their standard hooks are not up to the quality of their premium line, but then you shouldn't expect them to be.

And that is my $.02.

Keith

·
Registered
156 Posts
yeah well tell that to the Steelhead I have lost because the hook broke at the bend! Operator errror I don't think so--
Maybe its me I must be cursed but I do like there stainless hooks. I have also broke Mustad hooks on snags as well. How would your cofidence be? I do not have a problem buying Japanese hooks, I drive a toyota it gets good gas mileage as oposed to new suv's that get the same gas mileage as my 76 GMC--whats up with that?:dunno

Mcronariver

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.