Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Piscatorial predilection
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now I'm a believer! in catching SRC's in the salt that is.
I've been reading all the stuff I can about it, so I finally decided to give it a try.
Went to a local beach this afternoon, got there about 1PM, low tide was around 3:30 or so. A real minus tide at that.
Took my 6wt and some black & olive wooley buggers, didn't have anything else.
Caught two in about an hour's time, 14" & 11" man those guy's really jump and twist in the salt!
A big bald eagle swooped in and landed on the beach about 100 yards away, picked up something up and flew off.
All in all a great time. Think I'll go back tomorrow and try it again!
Going to tie up some clousers tonight though.
LB:thumb

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
nice job... I love catching SRCs. One of my favorite fish of all time and what i spend most of my time chasing in the summer.
The greatest thing is that you can tie up anything that is flashy and the cutts will hit it.
good luck... and come to our saltwater gathering this summer.

·
Registered
728 Posts
hey papafish try some epoxy head minnows in boucktail or calftails (stands out better) laced with pearl flashabou in white and other hot colors about 2-3 inches long. easy simple patern and retrieve it slow with pauses, hangs and falls just right in the water. resident salmon and cutts love it. you have to fish clousers to fast for this time of year. just my 2 cents

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art:beer2

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm glad you had some action. I'm going out tomorrow with another wff member from morning to early afternoon in the dyes inlet.

I'll give an update when I get back.

Good luck on your next outing.

Todd

PS- lots of bald eagles all over the place!! Great to see.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Todd, how did it go the other day with SRCs? I live near the inlet, and would like to try it out, maybe this Friday on the outgoing tide. Any good place to try? Did you guys try the creek where chum usually comes to in the fall, or the other creek on the other side by the kids playgrounds?

Thanks,

Vlad

·
Fish Recycler
681 Posts
I'm sure Todd will have more to add to this, but I'll start off as I was the 'other WFF member.'

I fished from about 8:45 - 12:00, Todd stuck around a little longer. Tide didn't start really moving until 9:30 or 10:00. Todd picked up a couple of fish during slack/slow tide, I missed a couple. It really heated up as the water got moving, we both got into a good bunch of smaller fish, with all praise going to Todd for landing so many more of his ;-) and for also nabbing the biggest fish of the day.

Best action was on wooley buggers, but also some fish on flashy streamers. After seeing a bunch of surface activity, I switched to an unweighted muddler fished on/just under the surface and caught a few that way.

Warm, sunny morning - great time on the water.

By the way - don't park at the strip mall with the bakery if you go down there - we both got tow warnings, those *%[email protected]! stickers they put on your window are awful to get off! :reallymad

-- Teeg.

By the way - lots of (my) free flies to be had stuck in the rocks far up on the beach - gotta learn to keep my backcast up. :bawling

---------------------------

You can be a fish recycler, too. Let 'em swim.

·
Piscatorial predilection
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips guy's. I did get some of the epoxy head flies at Ted's, they have a new shipment, in 2" and 3" sizes, three different colors too. They cast really well and sink just right off a floating line & 9 ft. leader.

Went out this afternoon, not much action, only got one 10 - 11". Biggest fish jumped clear out of the water about 4 ft from me, but he wasn't attached to my line!:reallymad

I've concentrated on an area where a creek enters the salt, seems to be pretty good, but I want to find a bit more structure, or points of land to work on too. Any way I have to go clean my gear, salt is not good for it.

LB

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
It's been my work pasttime for years. Will normally bring a flyrod with me to work. Have some prime private saltwater beaches to fish thanks to delivery connections. ;) Nice thing, alot of resident coho around as well most of the year.

I mostly use what was described above, epoxy head flies. Mostly a mixture of what was said above, some almost purely krystal flash. I also tie up some smaller shrimp/krill patterns as well. Have done quite well just on my lunch breaks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.