Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Been fishing the Samish once or twice a week for a few hours, and have not seen or heard of any steelhead caught. Decent amount of "crane and cable" fisherman there each time.
Last month, I found a few holes holding decent numbers of SRC's up to 17" but now they have seemed to disappear into their spawning tribs. I usually try to fish the Samish when it is below 300 cfs, or after a 3 day dryspell, because other than that it has very poor visibility. Try to use larger flies size 2 or bigger because last week I was there fishing size 6 speys, and caught two or three fin-clipped steelhead smolts, 8-10"...then decided to switch to a size 2. Leave them alone and maybe we will actually have a steelhead run 3 years from now.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey there grey ghost,

Have you been fishing the Nook lately? I have been up fishing the North fork and hooked into one--nice fish. Have you seen any gun metal around up there lately?

I gave up on the lower samish when I fell on my ass in mud. I used to do some work for the Samish hatchery and I would see some monster SRC's and Coho--we would put them upstream.

Mcronariver:thumb

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hey Mcronariver,
I usually fish the samish from Hwy 99, downstream to I-5,
haven't really had any problems with mud.
Anyway, I have been up on the NF Nook a few times in the last month, hooked one fish last week above Mosquito Lk Rd that took a long run around a submerged log and quickly earned his freedom. Never saw it, could have been steel, could have been a late chumsky... other than that havent had much luck or heard of any steelies being caught. Anyway, looking at the hydrograph, the NF looks real good right now and if we don't get dumped on too much tonight and tomorrow, I think I may venture up there Wednesday afternoon for a couple hours.... If you want to meet up sometime, let me know. Pete

·
Registered
156 Posts
hey ghost,
Thanks for the input, good to hear you got throttled by a big one up there. I hope to hit the NF next week tues or thurs (afternoon). I will try and get your e-mail,(profile)? and maybe we could meet up on the river next week.

I am taking a friend up to the Skagit on fri-afternoon, give you the report.

Mcronariver

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
What has more possibilities...N. Fork or taking the drift boat to the Skagit? I'm up in Bellingham...so it is quite a haul to do the Skagit, and if it is not worth the try I would rather goof around in the "home" waters.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
What has more possibilities...N. Fork or taking the drift boat to the Skagit? I'm up in Bellingham...so it is quite a haul to do the Skagit, and if it is not worth the try I would rather goof around in the "home" waters.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Andrew,
I have been trying to stick close to Bellingham just because the runs on the Skagit haven't really gotten under way, and it's a long way to drive for a few hours of fishing. While the Nook surely gets some fish, it is a fraction of what the Skagit system gets. Also, a deciding factor for you might be that the Skagit system has good numbers of dollies available as well. If you are serious about getting into some fish, I would have to say you have much higher chances on the Skagit or Sauk. I just like to take a few hours to stretch the legs and the casting arm, and enjoy the solitude of the Nook. (Been seeing a lot of Eagles up there lately)

Mcronariver,
Sounds good, keep me updated....
[email protected] or [email protected]

Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.