Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In late July I'm visting my sister and brother-in-law on San Juan Island.

I'm interested in doing some fresh and salt water fly fishing. I live in Boston and don't know the area that well. Any advice on where to go (on the Island or the general area)? Can anyone recomend a good guide and good fly shop in the area?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
729 Posts
hey giligan there should be a frenzy of pink and coho salmon up there at that time, especially pinks, never fished up there but it is one of the hotspots for pinks and with the run size this year if its half as good 2001 if your in a boat which I think you can rent in the harbors you should have a 20 fish day no problem. maybe some of the other guys can help you on what flyshop to call. ben

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art:beer2

·
Registered
805 Posts
Gilligan,
You'll love San Juan, ferries, Orcas, sunsets. There are no fly shops on the islands - you will need to hit them on the way up - many to choose from.

San Juan offers a few small lakes - with nice fish, very nice fish. Will need float tube or small boat.

Salt access from shore is grim w/out a boat - the south end of the island just past the American Camp is fantastic for silvers - they pile up at this end of the island fresh from the straights at low tide, then move up the island as it comes in. You can rent a kayak at Friday Harbor and tote it around and launch at will.

There are some charter salmon boats geared towards trolling for salmon - best bet is to rent your own at Friday Harbor or Roche for the day.

If you have a boat, your options are endless.

I will be there the middle of that month, give me a shout to hook up.

Jim Williamson

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,781 Posts
The shop that comes to mind is the Port Townsend Angler,360-379-3763. They have a good idea of things in the area and can help you with guides etc. I liked the advice about renting a boat or kayak, that sounds like a real fun way to do it up there. Near Deception Pass is a nifty lake,Pass Lake.There's a ton of sea run cutthroat trout fishing that time of year too. You might look up the Fidalgo Flyfishers via : www.washingtoncouncilfff.org All the fff clubs are listed there and some have contact numbers and websites.
Many clubs have a ton of information available to visiting flyfishers.

·
Indi Ira
9,398 Posts
For fresh water action, check out two lakes. Sportsmans Lake about 15 minutes from Friday Harbor sports a nice population of large mouth bass that will take about any trout fly but they seem to prefer damsel nymphs around the lilly pads. Look for the fish to be in the 10" to 14" range, but watch out for that 4 pounder as well. Just left and right of the launch there are some nice areas and then as you move right of the launch and past the first big cove you'll come to some deeper water around a rock wall. Once there, switch to a sinking line and fish a big wooly or streamer pattern for some real rod bending monsters.

For trout and more bass, you can try Egg Lake.

IRA..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.