Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of heading over to the Sanpoil next week. I've heard the lower river is good fishing. Can anyone provide me with a report or tips on fishing the Sanpoil? Is this a good time or should I wait until September?

Thanks

SteveO2

·
Registered
645 Posts
"hope you like snakes"

Since your "new to the board"... anytime they mention snakes on this board odds are you want to check it out. If they threaten ticks and scorpions on top of snakes we're talkin' premier fishing!

·
Hot Carl
8,798 Posts
"hope you like snakes"

Since your "new to the board"... anytime they mention snakes on this board odds are you want to check it out. If they threaten ticks and scorpions on top of snakes we're talkin' premier fishing!
Meh, I have no reason to keep the Sanpoil under wraps. Haven't fished it since I was a kid, but I used to fish that area a lot back then. I mean the place is literally full of snakes of all types, especially rattlers. Can't speak for the fishing there these days, but it was never spectacular when I used to go.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am working in the area had a chance,to fish 3 different evening this last week...the fish are small off the reservation...that being said only one of those evenings I
fished about 10 miles south of the resevation border you need a permit the fish are larger... I have read reports and talked with a local that if you can find them the fish can run in the 18" inch class...I caught only one eastern brook the remainder were the red band native rainbow...hopper dropper worker best with a bh prince or copper john size 12 w rubber legs...I did not see anyfish bigger than 12" I hope that helps! I also did not see any snakes with the exception of one dead
roadkill bull snake on the road...I did almost hit a bear on the rez and lots of deer be aware.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Nicely colored native redbands as Flyfisher121 said. Fished it about 7 or 8 years ago and although I caught nothing large, they were beautifully colored native rainbows. I caught my one and only walleye - a little guy - where the Sanpoil emptys Nice campground there by the way. Make sure you get a Colville tribal permit to fish legally on the res.'
There's some good lakes around there up in the hills too.
Oh, the rattlesnake stories are for real. Watch where you step.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have 20 acres on the Sanpoil. I spent last summer staying there and commuting to work at Coulee Dam and then back over Peter Dan Road and up Highway 21 to Republic, then over to Kettle Falls. Lot's of wildlife, usually saw three to four bear and lots of deer and turkeys. I have not fished it much, a few times at the slack water and running river junction. Caught several smallmouth and a 12 inch walleye. As for snakes, I have seen one rattlesnake in the road at night. Last week, I sat down in a pit toilet in Okanogan County and there was a rattlesnake coiled, yet not rattling about 2.5 feet from me on the floor. After a quick gauge of strike distance I flew out the door. My worst nightmare had become reality. Kevin

Good Earth Gifts
[email protected]
www.goodgiftsofthearth.com
Your online store for fruit gift boxes, smoked salmon gift baskets, smoked salmon gift boxes, salmon jerky & sticks, caviar, coffee, hot chocolate, dessert cookies, berry puree, and other fine food gifts. Kosher-certified All Natural Smoked Salmon fillets.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
I love the San Poil. I fished it two weeks ago and did good, but got ran off the river earlier than planned by a monster bear. I suggest carrying bear spray or bee spray. Bee spray works better on bears because you can shoot farther. Bear spray only works when they are on top of you. The snakes are there, just watch were you step or use a stick to poke the brush ahead of you. You usually don't have to worry about them in the water unless it's real hot. If it's over 95 watch for them floating downriver. One day I counted over a dozen rattlers floating on a day topping 100. They look like sticks floating down the river, so if you're wading don't let them get wrapped around your legs.
The river fishes the best on the reservation. This time of year I would suggest a hopper. You can get some the biggest fish in the river on the surface. Most the fish are between 10-14 inches, with a larger one every once in awhile. The big fish usually concentrate in the deep pools because the water is so low. Use a sculpin pattern on or near the bottom to see what's really in there. I've caugh resident trout in there over two feet long with muddlers. The West Fork of the San Poil has yeilded me trout over 18 inches, so it might be worth checking out also.
The river below Bridge Creek is mostly smallmouth bass, but will yield some nice trout.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for these last two replys. Unfortunately next on my plate is the grouse opener and a nearby lake with rainbows, then off to SE Alaska for coho. I'll definitely put the Sanpoil on my list for next year. Is July better than August?

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,350 Posts
The West Fork of the San Poil has yeilded me trout over 18 inches, so it might be worth checking out also.
I assume this fish was caught on the Reservation somewhere too and not up towards the headwaters in the Aeneas Valley.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
The West Fork and the main branch of the San Poil fish better on the rez because it's catch and release. I don't even mess with either of these waters off the rez/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.