Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, I'm giving the clip approach a try.

Santiam Special Stone
Created by George Nelson to use for trout fishing in the North Santiam River in Oregon.
Published in the Fly Wrap Up column of Western Flyfishing, July-Oct 1996 issue
Blue Beak Chile de árbol Arthropod Parasite

Hook: TMC 5262 or similar 2X long, TDE nymph hook, sizes 10-14, debarb as desired
Thread: Brown
Tail: Two brown goose biots tied in a V
Body: Brown Swannundaze or similar synthetic body wrap material
Shell Back: Turkey Quill
Gills: White ostrich herl
Hackle: Brown saddle
Thorax: Natural color hare's ear
Legs: Two brown goose biots tied down and back as shown

GO FISH!

(I thought about adding music to the clip but I think that would be a distraction.)

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It works! I can live with 1:30, pausing along the way. Thanks, Gene.
hb, yeah, it works better with single patterns. I never planned to use it for three at a time. The first clip was an experiment with the format. I decided to use the floating text when I thought it was needed and only for one pattern at a time.

Rob, Swannundaze was once a popular tying material and is indeed a half round d-rib type of material. It is still sold but not as easy to find as it once was:

https://algonquinflytying.com/products/swannundaze

This is why I noted that you can use any similar product... I suppose you could use a solid, or tube type stretch stretch material but the flat side of Swannundaze makes it easy to use when tying. I believe craft stores still sell the stuff in larger sizes. Many other products have shown up since 1996 that will work instead of the Swannundaze. Spirit River sells a vinyl rib that indicates you can purchase it as a hollow cord or a solid "D" style... which is basically the same as Swannundaze.

I coated the shell back and head wraps with Sally Hanson Hard As Nails .... yup, we were using the clear fingernail polish way back in '96:)

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a sidebar to the use of Swannundaze.... at one time it was the hot deal to use clear Swannundaze over tinsel for the body section of streamers. This created a neat effect and protected the tinsel from shredding ... if the fly worked.

This is a pattern we used for rock bass when fishing at night off the jetty rocks in Newport Oregon (it did work):

Automotive parking light Line Art Tail Wood

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.