Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
flyfishing addict
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a chance to fish 12/20 on the Satsop, it'd been blown out, but was coming back down. I had a few takes, very subtle, but no major hookups. Saw 4 fish caught by floaters, one was a nice silver of about 7-8 lbs. in some water that was only boat accessable. I've fished this area before but haven't always been able to gain river access since a good portion is fronted by private property. Anyone else fished this river? It seemed like there was more access up by the park, and not too much in the lower river, maybe I just don't know the spots. How is the float? Anyone with any info would be greatly appreciated. Good day practice casting, and fishing new water.
JB

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Years ago I began fishing with gear for silvers on foot in the upper areas around the park. Since then I've enjoyed it more each time with a pontoon or my friend's drift boat. Much better access with some mode of water transportation. It is a bit skinny in places during summertime flows and the last time out I found an interesting obstruction that I had not seen before. I'm pretty limited on rowing experience, I enjoy the Satsop.

·
flyfishing addict
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mumbles, after I posted this, I went back and searched the prior posts and reread your post. I noticed the other day that there's what looks like a boat lauch at Decker Creek, is that a better lauch than at the park? I have fished or atleast walked down below the park back when the Chums were running it seemed pretty skinny at that time. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
JB

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
JB, very interesting. I've never launched at Decker Creek but did watch a guy drop his pontoon boat in there once. I've always been with my friend in his DB or in my single or double pontoon boat and put in at the park. The water is pretty shallow there, and narrow as hell in low flows. As you have said, there are spots before Decker Creek that I had to stand in the water to unweight my pontoon to work through them. In two of these spots the flow is hard at the bank and there is limited spact to maneuver so walking my toon through these skinny spots with flows through narrow passages to undercut brush and banks is my preference. If there is a launch on Decker I'm not aware of it, but I'm not very aware of much. Others have told me that there is a back eddy on Cook Creek that allows for launching a boat. I failed to find it the last time there so I just launched at the Park. If you find a feasible place to put in a pontoon on Decker let me know. I'll join you for a float if possible. I need to do a better scouting around Cook Creek to find that possible launch spot. That can save a bit of valuable float time if I can skip the upper mile or more from the park down to the confluence of Cook Creek. That makes for more pontoon parking and fly playing on the way down. Good thinking on Decker creek though. Makes me want to drive out there soon and see what options that might bring. Ed

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
JB,

There is no boat launch at Decker Creek. However, when people were required to pay a $5 day use fee at Shafer Park, even to launch a boat and park there, some anglers chose to improvise a rough launch at Decker Creek. With a bit of dragging and walking the boat, it's possible to get to the creek's confluence with the East Fork and begin floating, depending on water height and type of boat you're using. As a practical matter, launching at the park is more, well, practical.

Sg

·
flyfishing addict
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sg, I am sorry if I've spoken out of turn, but I was just there the other day. There was a small pullout along the roadside at Decker Creek (probably would've held 3-4 cars), then a rough put in spot, but it looked as though someone had just used it not more than an hour before I was there, granted it may look different in the Low water, but water was up and I'm pretty sure it looked like someone could off load a boat there. No offense meant. I'm not from this area so I'll try not to step on toes, and speak of any local knowledge.
JB

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
There's a take-out on the West Fork that is rather rough and steep, but we've winched the Willie up it. You have to row upstream from the confluence a bit, but it is do-able. Other than that, ya gotta float down to the the Hwy 8 WDFW ramp.

Where do you take out if launching at the park or Decker Creek.

Thanks jim
Mumbles, The launch at Cook Creek is a rough drop right off the road, to a dry gravel bar below the mouth of Cook Creek. Then you have to drag the boat over the cobbles for quite a ways. Its not an easy launch. Its rough on the hull bottom, too. It'll hammer your knees, and try to twist your ankles. Its almost "too much." You may have looked right at it, and not even seen it. You may have seen it, but then said "No way!" If you have been talked into launching here by your buddy with the heavy driftboat, you may have subsequently entertained thoughts of murdering your so-called "buddy."

Merry Christmas!

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Normally my friend and I have taken out just on the Southeast of the Highway bridge. I've seen boats put in and take out on the West side of the river, but I've never done that myself.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Jim, I think I saw that and said no way. A friend here at WFF told me there is an easier access than what I likely was looking at. I'm not sure. I would consider it with my solo pontoon. No way with a two man toon (maybe I'm a wimp). No way with a hull, unless it was someone else's boat and their idea. Do you take your kayak down the Satsop?

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
No yakkin for me there, yet. I could handle it OK, but I'd rather float it in a driftboat. Good river for a 'toon, too. I haven't been floating any rivers at all, lately, though. I have hardly been fishing. Just hearing reports of decent-to-good winter hatchery steelhead fishing everywhere...

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
JB,

No problem and no offense taken. I meant that no official or designated boat launch exists at the Decker Ck pullout. From what you say, it looks like it's become more user friendly than it was the last time I checked it out.

Jim,

If launching on the East Fork, you can take out just below Cook Ck as Jim W. mentions, or make the longer float to the confluence of the E and W forks. The ramp on the West Fork washed out years ago, but people do still launch and retrieve there, but it definitely isn't pretty. There used to be a gravel bar further down the main stem you could take out at, but that's been blocked off for a few years now. So the next boat launch and retrieval is at the WDFW ramp immediately downstream of the Hwy 12 bridge on the east side. As bad as that ramp is, it replaces the one that formerly existed on the west side and was washed out by a flood. And before that - am I getting old or what - the few boats that floated the Satsop took out on Wharton's Bar on the west side, just a little further downstream than that first concrete ramp. Now that was a good fishing spot!

Sg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.