Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm thinking about taking advantage of the Chehalis system extension. The Satsop has a discharge rate of 3,440 CFS & the Wynoochee 847 CFS. I'm just starting to dabble into this flow rate game, and I don't know if these levels are condusive to wade/bank fishing for these 2 rivers. Anyone know? I know they're both higher than normal but are going down currently. I'll be fishing this weekend.
...or would I be better off hitting the Yak for trout?
Thanks for your time.
easygoer:hmmm

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
easygoer, use the 'Nooch gage at Monte, I like it under 2000cfs, closer to 1000 is nice and low for wading, should be fishable but possibly crowded this weekend. For Satsop, can't give you any help there, except E Fork below Shafer park isn't that big of a river and should be low enough if the weather maintains. The 'Nooch would be my pick, but then again, I'm not going. Keep in mind this is the last weekend and these streams might have alot of fishers hittin 'em. Good Luck, my engine is running and I'm out the door.
Jimbo

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
If the nooch is under a 1000 - its good to fish it. Thats a cool river. I floated it a bunch this winter season in my pontoon. There are some sweet spots to swing a fly, IF, a big IF you get there FIRST! Thats the hard part. The flows currently are conducive to wade/bank fishing. There isnt a whole lot of bank access. If you go up a bit higher in the system, follow the road up to where it turns to dirt, there are some spots where you can hike up a ways and get away from ALL the people. Good Luck, let us know how you fare.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Yes, you need to check Black Creek gauge

It's the key to check. And yes, you must fish it below 2000. If not, you'll be fishing FAST. Unless you want to cast every 2 seconds. LOL.

I have had property on the Nooch for years. I call myself a second hand local. LOL. Just above spillway in fact. But river had REALLY good color. But running to high and fast this week to fish the fly. You'd have to use big flies and heavy sinktips to fish it effectively. I did some fishing, but ended up using the baitcaster more. I could get better control that way. I wish I could row, great plugging water. Oh well. I'd wait until the gauge at Black Creek says around 1800 or less before you grab the fly rod. Most of my good fly holes were running too fast to get fly down fast enough.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Yes, you need to check Black Creek gauge

Its raining steadily here in Grayland at the moment. I had planned to fish the mouth of the North this afternoon for SRCs, since I was mowing a lawn in Tokeland. But this rain hit, along with gusty winds, so after I finished up the lawn job, I tucked tail and headed for the barn. Yeah, I know...something smells like chicken around here. My point is that with this rain, the rivers aren't likely to drop any further. Also, read the fishing report in today's "Outdoors" section of The Olympian. It reports that the dude at Verle's Sporting Goods in Monte says the fishing isn't as good as it was. Hope this helps you make a choice.
My buddy from inland just e-mailed me and confirmed that he will show up Sat nite for a dawn patrol Sunday on the South Jetty for lingcod/rockfish. We will be using bait(greenling, which we must first catch) for those bad boy lings, but I may bring my 6wt and use a type VI sinktip, long leader, and weighted baitfish pattern to see if I can get down to fool a striped sea perch or greenling.
As I write this, the rain and wind are lightening up a bit, so I may check out the point just east of the Coast Guard station in Westport, as the tide is incoming and the wind and rain will be at my back with these SW winds. I have never tried to flyfish there, but it looks like it might be a good spot. Good luck wherever you choose to go!
:dunno Jimbo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.