Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up and looking into buying a Saturn Raft. Just looking to see if anyone has owned one or has any thoughts or suggestions. I know there not as top of the line as NRS or Maravia, but the price for a new one would be something I could afford and I'm a little weary about buying something used for a couple grand without a warranty.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
You need to check out Sotar's web site. Look under Sales Hot sheet and find the SP boats. These are the exact same boats as the time tested ST models but in a discontinued color (tan). I just picked up a 14 ft raft without thwarts for $2970. You could check around but won't find the same value new or used. I worked with a gal named Cheryl whom was very patient and helpful. I always say buy the best the first time, and only cry once. At that price they will be tears of joy.

here is the link- http://www.sotar.com/hotsheet/index.html

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
A friend looked at Saturn rafts as he had seen some guides using them but he wound up getting a Maxxon raft. They are both similar in price and quality, although the Maxxon had a better warranty. Probably not in the same league as Sotar but not as expensive either, even the ones on their hotsheet.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My friend has a Saturn raft... I've ridden it down the rocky-est river that you can imagine and it is one tough rig. We bounced off so many huge, sharp rocks and still not a scratch on the raft. It's tough...

·
259 Posts
I have had a 14' self-bailer for a season. I haven't taken it down anything rocky, but it performed well on the Yak and the Sky. I bought it used from someone who didn't take great care of it, but it has worked well for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Without getting into a boat debate obviously there are a number of factors to consider when selecting a raft, economics certainly a primary consideration. $2970 for a boat that typicaly retails for $5200, which is among the very best rides if not the best in the industry is something worth looking at. I don't think most reasonable folks would agrue that the Sotar does have superior tracking and handling characteristics, we always felt it better to avoid slamming into rocks and snags. Availability of funds is the only reason I would look at antoher boat. Being on the water is the main objective.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.