Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do any of you guys know of camping places along the sauk? i was planning on camping up there for a few days coming up soon and i'm really not sure of any camp grounds or any other places where i could set up a tent. any help would be appreciated.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

You have come to a good source. As it is one of my favorite places to fish. Now just where are you going to do this camping thing? Up on the S/F or the N/F. On the S/F there is the campground called Bedal,it is where the N and S/F come together. If you are going to go up over Barlow Pass you will find numerous sites where people have camped in the past.Just stay on the Mountain Loop Hiway and you can't miss. What a name for a dirt road.

If you would like a little more info just drop me a message and I will fill you in.

Jim

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey Jim,

I was up that way yesterday and the Sauk, above the White Chuck, looked like gorgeous summer run steelhead water (I didn't fish, I was scouting). I say looked like because I've never fished it and have never heard anything about it.

What kind of fishery does the Sauk (above the White Chuck) support - If any?

Cheers,

Michael

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

There's cutts up there,dollies,summer runs. Hard to gain access. About the only place to access the river is where it comes close to the road. But when you get away from the road the fishing gets better.I've fished the river from above that campground to darn near the town of Monte Cristo. Before they put the gate in you could get up to that town. But since it became Henry Jackson Wilderness you can't drive up there anymore unless you have a key to the gate.

Did you drive up as far as Monte Cristo Lake. Thats the wide spot on the river. Well if you can get to the far side in the woods there are or used to be some beaver ponds in there. There is some evidence of beavers being there.

There are some stories about the fish up there but I can't see to type so I'm going to stop for now.

Jim

I thought that I would add just alittle more because some one is going to ask what flies to use. I use what works,Humpies,Caddis flies,Stimulators,Royal Wullfs. I've always fished dries so I'm not to sure what to score on with nymphs. But your standard fare should do the trick.

Me again

·
Piscatorial predilection
2,439 Posts
Lower down on the Sauk, there is a camp just off the Sauk River Rd. Going NE out of Darrington you'll cross over the 1st Sauk River bridge (where the new boat launch is) Keep going and you'll soon come to the old Sauk River road on the left, turn left and cross the iron bridge, go about a 1/4 mile and the entrance to the camp ground is on the right. There is great access all up and down the Sauk with lot's of great places to fish. I've had both Steelhead and Dolly's in this area. It's a nice place to camp but there are no showers, only porta-potties.

I know oldman Jim knows where it is. BTW there are some good spots to fish around that 1st bridge you cross too.
LB

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

Yeah that's a Skagit County Park. I thought that they closed it but I could be wrong. Well there is also a camp ground at Clear Creek and a small one in Darringtonn but off the road and a little hard to see if you don't know what you are looking for. But down in the area the river is a lttle big and hard to wade. Up about the N/Fork you can wade till you hearts content.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.