Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to the Sauk tomorrow, first time. Fairly new to the area. Can anyone tell me some general info. about what part of the river to go to for decent bank access, am fly fishing. Looking to hook a Steelhead (does'nt need to be a smart one), in fact it could be fairly slow. Just a hint on the section of river would be great. Thanks, Tom.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I might be old---but I'm good.

Just about any place along side the road is where you can gain access. But below the mouth of the White Chuck it will proably be dirty and below the Suaittle it will be dirty. Although I haven't been there for a while to see what it looks like. It usually is just that way this time of the year.

No doubt the fish are there but if I was you I would fish the N/Fork of the Stilly. Better water and easier to read.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
There is a trailhead near the bridge over the Sauk just upstream of the mouth of the Whitechuck and a river-grade trail that goes up the east side of the Sauk for some distance. The Sauk stays clear, for the most part, above the Whitechuck. The trail follows what was apparently an old RR right-of-way. It stays pretty close to the river but there are some pretty swampy areas to negotiate to get to the water. If the Sauk is low enough when you get to it, you can usually make your way up or downstream by wading across it between pools.

There is a run of native summer-run steelhead in the Sauk but there aren't very many of them. You're more likely to find Cutthroat and Dolly Varden. If memory serves (and it's been a few years) there is also a short segment of logging road on the west side of the river above the same bridge that will get you to the water at a point where the road is washed out. Again, if the water is low enough, you can make your way upstream from there by wading.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

The Mountain Loop Hiway is now open. It runs along side of the river,but there isn't much access to the river above the Whitechuck river until you get up to the camp ground called Bedal. Thats where the N/Fork joins the S/fork to make the main river. There is a road before the camp ground that runs up the N/fork. It is FSR 49. It goes up where Sloan Creek runs in. Small rainbows in that creek and lots of biting bugs. There is a falls on the N/Fork so no Steelhead or Salmon can get up there.

Back to the S/fork. It's open now but it closes above Elliot Creek on the 31 of Augest. I've seen quite a lot of summer run fish up as far as Monte Cristo lake(a wide spot in the river). But being as the river is low and clear they sure are spooky. I have always had good luck if you hike away from the main road. Up or down the river from the access areas. All though it is a selective gears river,you will find all kinds of worm cans on the river bank.

I've used Elk hair caddis,Black ones seem to work the best for me. Humpy's sometime, And a yellow one that I tied up. Jim S. :BIGSMILE

·
Registered
36 Posts
Beware on the Sauk and Mt. Loop Hiway. I had my window mashed and gear taken last year around this time. From the Sheriff Dept. sounds like it is becoming a problem up there. Take as little as you can and try not to leave anything in sight, especially gear bags and backpacks.

Last Friday's rains blew the Sauk out, but it is back down to the yearly averages now.

Gene

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yup...we actually went on a day hike about 2 months ago, and I had two rods (one was a new XP), tackle box, waders, stereo, misc. gear, etc, etc. The list goes on and on. They through a rock through our window.

All I have to say is BE CAREFULL. ;)

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

It seems that no matter where you go any more that somebody is breaking into cars. I guess that nothing is safe any more. As I've never had anything stolen as of yet I try not to take to much with me anymore. Just what I carry with me. The only thing that I leave in my car is the shoes that I wore up there.

What is hard is that if you fly fish you usually take more than one rod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.