Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
A sad day. What do you think caused the fracture.

TC

Reactions: Flyguy65

·
FISHON206
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

TC
The swell on the skinny mid section didn't have much meat...not very good bamboo to start with....and was a little hollow where it broke. It was fun while it lasted, caught over 100 trout up to 6lbs with it! Already working on a butt section...no mortised swell this time. :(

·
Registered
904 Posts
Steve, sorry for the break.

Good analysis on the reasons it broke. Sometimes it takes a long time for a rod to weaken at known stress points. I think your next butt section will hold up better with a regular cork grip.

Tom

·
FISHON206
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Grieving period is over....going fishing now! I have a "few" other bamboo rods to fish with. I did kind of feel bad taking the reelseat hardware, agate stripping guide and ferrule off the corpse...seemed like a civil war movie when a bad soldier was stripped of his stripes and medals.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Grieving period is over....going fishing now! I have a "few" other bamboo rods to fish with. I did kind of feel bad taking the reelseat hardware, agate stripping guide and ferrule off the corpse...seemed like a civil war movie when a bad soldier was stripped of his stripes and medals.
It's a good thing. The gift of life, and shorty will live on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
FISHON206
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tru Oil is done, I'm keeping the new butt section longer instead of equal lengths....5'+ Sanded/shaped a cork grip, removed some guides for different placement with the longer length. Might use a cork reelseat. Crappy weather=rod working time!

·
FISHON206
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

TC
Tim and Tom,
I was in the shop today hacking on another shorty with a swelled mortised grip. I'm using a mid, piece of a thicker tip and a tip section. Better quality bamboo this time, pencil sharpened the tip of the mandrill....but then it came to me! (Lightbulb on!) When filing off the apexes, I need to shape the bamboo in the front to the pencil point of the mandrill....no hollow area! Even though I tried to squeeze enough glue last time, there still was a void after it broke. Plus maybe I'll try to keep the fish under five pounds!! We'll see.....

·
Registered
904 Posts
A highly respected rod maker told us that if he ends up with a hollow spot in front of the grip or near the ferrules, he whittles down a piece of wood (doesn't really matter what species) to fill the area before gluing up. A toothpick sometimes works.

Your idea of shaping the inner apexes is the best approach, but will require some accurate plane or sanding work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.