Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
John or "LC"
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
His "sale" prices are his normal prices, but he does have certain models with $200-$300 off his normal sale price going on now. But, he'll get you for shipping and maybe tax. A friend just bought an Escape (against my advice) which is always $699, TYD unless you live in Utah where there's tax, I think. He got $200 off the price but got nailed with tax and shipping for $589 out the door, a $100 real savings. I'm not sure why a Michigan resident would pay Utah tax as there's no retail presence, but maybe their laws are different, or maybe he just got him. Still 100 bux off.

Also, it looks like he's replaced the Predator with a newer model that weighs less, the Carbon Predator. You should be able to get that for $700 plus tax and shipping. I don't know about the Carbon, but I sure love my Predator.

Hoping this thread doesn't turn into another Scadden bashing exercise, but if so, we've heard it before. I've had three of his boats, didn't care for the Escape but loved the Renegade and now the Predator. If I was going to buy another as a second pontoon I'd get the Outcast Commander to get the kayak features, but I would not want to replace the Predator if for no other reason the light weight. My opinion only.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Hardly garbage Bhudda. If you are still fishing at nearly 80 as I am the weight difference between my South Fork and my Predator is impossible to overlook. At about 1/4 the weight of my SF I can still lift the Predator easily and carry it to the water and lift it back into the truck by myself. When you fish alone as I usually do that is a huge advantage.

For you guys on the far side of retirement age I would heartily recommend a much lighter boat. It eliminates one of the big obstacles to the aging fisherman. Upgrade now and give that heavy old boat to a young buckaroo that can easily handle it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
His "sale" prices are his normal prices, but he does have certain models with $200-$300 off his normal sale price going on now. But, he'll get you for shipping and maybe tax. A friend just bought an Escape (against my advice) which is always $699, TYD unless you live in Utah where there's tax, I think. He got $200 off the price but got nailed with tax and shipping for $589 out the door, a $100 real savings. I'm not sure why a Michigan resident would pay Utah tax as there's no retail presence, but maybe their laws are different, or maybe he just got him. Still 100 bux off.

Also, it looks like he's replaced the Predator with a newer model that weighs less, the Carbon Predator. You should be able to get that for $700 plus tax and shipping. I don't know about the Carbon, but I sure love my Predator.

Hoping this thread doesn't turn into another Scadden bashing exercise, but if so, we've heard it before. I've had three of his boats, didn't care for the Escape but loved the Renegade and now the Predator. If I was going to buy another as a second pontoon I'd get the Outcast Commander to get the kayak features, but I would not want to replace the Predator if for no other reason the light weight. My opinion only.
I bought a Carbon Predator and the oars rubbed on the pontoons first day out. Dave says he is sending me a fix for this problem and I will post if it works.
Probably should have kept my Renegade until trying out the Carbon Predator. Unfortunately, I glued a Scotty anchor mount on the stern before I tested it so a return is out of the question. I wanted a boat that would not take up as much room in my Camper and the Carbon is definitely a smaller footprint, but so far that is the only bonus.
I'll post again when I get the supposed "fix".
And BTW. I'm 77 so the lighter the better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.