Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i used the the search function and not much came up. I was wondering what are some of the turn around times you have experienced with Scott and their warranty work? If i recall i remember hearing some horror stories but i was just wondering what you have experienced? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
They're working on it, as noted in this past thread, but it's currently about a month wait.
http://washingtonflyfishing.com/boa...low-repairing-rods?highlight=scott rod repair

My most recent experience was a bit frustrating. Broke my streamer rod in Oct in MT, turnaround was 4-5 weeks but it came back with the wrong (classic cigar) grip. They were good and took it right back to replace the full wells, but it's annoying when you fill out a repair form with explicit instructions and the error is still made. I still love their rods.

·
I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OMJ i own 3 TFO's and love them! I just happened upon my scott for a great price so snagged it! And now the second section has fractures where it connects to the butt section. Pretty annoying but I just wanted to make sure that i have a change to get it back before i head up to AK again. thanks guys.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The Scott S4s are really nice, but I admit I have stayed away partly because of what I hear about warranty turnaround....had a friend who claimed his turnaround on something last year was 1. 5 months which isn't horrible, but not great either

·
card shark
2,316 Posts
4-6 weeks turn around for a new tip section (twice in 4 years), during the summer. I would expect better turn around time during off peak like right now. Work was good, communication fair, and I couldn't tell the differance between the sections after replacement, even though it is an older rod out of production.

168 Posts
Two winters ago I sent an A2 7wt and an S3 8wt in mid December and got them back mid April. So I bought some echo rods to get through the steelhead season, which have a fast repair turnaround. I have heard Scott has gotten better, we will find out. I sent 2 more rods in mid December, I will let you know when I get them back.

-Aaron

·
Registered
112 Posts
A lot of Scott customers experienced slow warranty service so Scott rods changed the entire way they handle their warranty service last year. Their rep said that this past year their average warranty repair took 9 business days. We sent in two rods at the same time in September and got one back after 9 business days and the other rod took 10 business days. Both rods were the A3 model.
Because I knew the issues with both rods I inspected both of them upon their return. On one of the rods I could tell where they fixed it. If I showed the rod to anyone else, unless they knew about the previous issue with a broken ferrule (client + clouser = inevitable) they probably wouldn't notice. The other rod was sent back to get a few of the guides replaced that had rusted up in the saltwater. They either replaced the sections or the fix was flawless!
So in our experience it has been good. But so customers can rest easily, we carry a huge stock of demo rods. When a customer comes in with a warranty issue we put a demo S4, S4s, A3, T2H, etc in their hand so they are not without a rod. I would guess there are other shops out there that would do this too. It doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
So in our experience it has been good. But so customers can rest easily, we carry a huge stock of demo rods. When a customer comes in with a warranty issue we put a demo S4, S4s, A3, T2H, etc in their hand so they are not without a rod. I would guess there are other shops out there that would do this too. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Fantastic! Blake, I take it you have a 'shop' somewhere. It's the kind of 'stuff' you posted above that will keep you in business. For a very long, long time. Question for you though: I've been "told/heard/read" that it's better to have a broken rod sent in via the fly shop rather than just sending same in directly (faster turn around for obvious reasons?). Any truth to that?
Fred

G

·
Man am I glad to hear that they have stepped up..I have a few scotts and really like um but have had wait times of over 3 months on two different spey rods..and the T2H they sent back after three months was the same one I sent in with nothing done to it...I found Fred that when I got involved it got solved a helluva lot sooner...Problem was solved and I was told and have since heard their turn around time is much better...Same thing with my Simms waders, I now deal directly with them and I have zero problems with turn around etc.

I think taking the heat off the shop guys and dealing with it yourself can not only help them but help you get what you want done, and done faster too...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.