Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I spent 1 1/2 weeks during the first part of Sept. in the Washington/Oregon/Idaho area on a 5 day rafting trip on the Snake River through Hell's Canyon. I used a Go Pro camera to get some great whitewater action shots. Then we did some sight seeing in the Wallowa-Whitman area. The rafting trip was awesome and the Wallowa-Whitman area was beautiful.

Upon returning I was anxious to see how the sea-run cutthroat fishing was doing. Last week I went out once and landed a few fish. So yesterday I decided to check out some prime Fall sea-run cutthroat areas and was rewarded with some spectacular topwater sand lance action. The first area which was red hot last year at this time was again absolutely loaded with a lot of nice sized sea-run cutthroat that were eager to aggressively strike a skated sand lance pattern. This area normally fish's best during a moderate ebb tide like yesterday. Most of the sea-run cutthroat were in the 14 to 16" range with a few larger fish that were LDR. I fished this area for several hours and it was hard to leave as I wanted to checkout another area.

At the second area there were a few willing sea-run cutthroat but not like the first area. This area also fish's best on moderate ebbs but I got there too late at the last part of the tide. There were a few chum salmon starting to stage there with maybe a few adult coho salmon thrown in the mix.

In the morning there was an amazing display of 8 bald eagles circling/soaring. The photograph shows 6 of the birds. I have never seen as many bald eagles in the air at one time except along the Harrison River before it enters the Frazer River in B.C. In Nov. bald eagles gather there by the hundreds to feed on chum, coho, and sockeye carcasses.

I fished 14 locations and landed numerous sea-run cutthroat on a topwater sand lance pattern at over 1/2 of them. It was a truly a memorable day!

Roger

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Roger that's nice thanks for the report and pics .

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Riseform:

Leland and I plan to go fishing in the next week or two. Hopefully we will be able to get some topwater action for sea-run cutthroat with the Go Pro video camera or a digital camera that will take videos. It will be interesting to "see" how it goes;).

Roger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.