Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning: No fish, livestock, birds, pets or humans were harmed to obtain this fishing report.

Today's fishing began on a leisurely pace after each of our families were up, had a nice breakfast and young ones were off to school for the day. EmergingRivers came across the Seattle to Bainbridge ferry and met me near the Agate Passage Bridge. We loaded his gear in my rig and we were off to a few places highlighted in my local map. Some of the places on the map have been productive for Sea Run Cutthroat Trout from the shore, others from a small craft. Today we were not so luck in finding any. We saw a few fish swirl and rise, but no takers. We fished a variety of patterns (but no popsicle sticks unfortunately) to tempt anyone nearby but no luck for us. I'm glad that EmergingRivers came over to my neck of the woods to play and that he's not afraid that today's skunking will throw him into a funk. There are a lot more areas to hit, some large and some tiny spots that don't get a lot of anglers.

The views are pretty good from the spots I'm willing to show off...nearly anyone can identify where they are...

I'll be smelling of skunk until my next outing, but I got out on what was a great day for fishing. Overcast, cool, rain held off and spent another day with a friend.

·
Josh S
704 Posts
I've been getting skunked there all week. It is a beautiful place to throw a line and a great way to spend an afternoon though. Hit me up next time you're coming this way, I live minutes from there.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do. Tides were high enough today that a few good places were just not fishable.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Well thank goodness you didn't "drag" any fish all over the beach Ed! Things should pick up when those chum fry around there begin moving. I'll be exploring there more often this Spring.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Mumbles, I think skunks go into hibernation during the winter, so we can all fish without threat of their awful smell.

Seriously, this is the slowest time of the year for sea-runs in most places, but it's a great time to get out. Every fish is special no matter what time of the year, but one caught in the winter is a real treat. To me, it's just amazing that we can fish for native trout with flies in the middle of winter.

Tom

·
Left handed Gemini.
538 Posts
Mumbles I went out to one of places you tried yesterday around 3 or so and did fairly well in the hour I was there 2 to hand 12/15" with 2 really nice hits that didn't result in hookups, tip the fish there are very wary they get fished for alot so finess and your best trickery is required and try getting there just before the tide changes cause right when it does you'll see alot more movement.
tony

·
1,411 Posts
Nice pics Ed.
I did a hell of a lot of walking on those pontoons last winter/ summer. It's nice to see that the bridge is still floating...:)

Sorry to hear of your skunking, although it's better to be outside than at work..

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Thanks Mumbles - It was great to fish with you again. You were a excellent host on the Kitsap Peninsula - it's always better to fish with a local. Here's a photo I snapped whilst swinging that orange reverse spider through the salt...

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Notice the breathtaking views of the Olympics in their snow covered glory and that guy casting from the shore before he goes stomping into the water waist deep. Sort of stealthy, until the cast hits the water. Nice photo ER, glad you came over for the day. Hope the skunking washes off of you quickly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
New to the area and thinking of searuns Sunday pm around the high tide at Marrowstone. Have a small boat and might explore the east side and Oak Bay or cross and troll for Steelhead at Bush or Lagoon Pt. Any suggestions?
Have read a quite a few posts and just want to "get my feet wet" for these SRC's. I'll be looking for some faster moving water and fish relativley shallow with some of the flies mentioned here. This will be my first attempt.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
You guys have got to quit sharing the same best secret rock you're attracting attention to it. Ed did right by moving oveer a few feet because he can still cast almost the same distance and place. I've got to go watch and see which rocks they stand on down on my end of the water, so I'm not skunked next time. you guys up in Skagit are lucky that's looking like a pretty good size rock or I'd come up and move it over a few feet to fool you. It's great that the views from the sound are so beautiful almost everywhere. Happy fishing

·
Josh S
704 Posts
Fished the incoming tide at this beach with Van this afternoon for a short while. Saw some action in the water and started casting a flatwing in amongst em. Dropped it right past a little rise and started stripping, heartbeat racing, saw a wake forming behind my fly so stripped a little faster, still following!, hands shaking now, stripped faster then saw my fly disappear, a little tug, set the hook...... and nothings there. Damn, short strike. Threw it a few more times with no interest from the feeding fish jumping around me. Changed up to a reverse spider and had a take on the third or fourth cast. A skinny, post-spawn 13" cutt fighting for his life on the end of my line! Not the big one but I was pleased to not leave the beach skunked. The fish all seemed to disappear after that, we threw flies up and down the beach for another hour with not a tug or take and called it a day.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
What I would have done was...slowed it down instead. Cutts are not like coho, I found slow can be what big cutts want. Just sayin'..... at least you got out. Good deal.

·
Live to fish, fish to live.
93 Posts
Yeah today was cool, first time in the salt for me. I gotta catch a fish soon or i'm gonna lose my mind......
You'll get one brotha! I know the feeling. Keep on the hunt, you'll get them.

With Flatwings especially, it works better for me to strip into the fish. Not even necessarily a sold strip-strike. It's a lot harder to say than do, but to me, the patterns hook more fish if you just keep stripping until it's solid, then bring the rod up casually. Also, the feathers can get really long off the hook shank if you're not careful. I've had better success using shorter, and wider feathers (the really wide ones work great for sculpins), versus the long skinny dudes, they are also much easier to get totally flat on the shank and without spin. Using a short shank, wide gap hook, the feathers extend no more than three hook lengths beyond the bend or so on my best ones.

Dylan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.