Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions for a shop near Seattle that is dialed in on Alaska fishing techniques/flies. I'm heading for Kodiak at the end of the month and would like to pick up most of my supplies before I get there (guessing prices may be a little more reasonable here).

thanks,

Rod

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Kaufmanns seems to know Alaska pretty well. If someone in the Seattle store can't get you the info you need, I bet they'd check w/ Tigard and Bellevue personnel.

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
Talk with Jay Robson (sp?) at Creekside Angling (http://www.creeksideangling.com)in Issaquah. He works up in Alaska guiding thoughout the summer and is very knowledgable about the options up there.

Have a good trip!
Bill

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Mountainview Sports, On Northern Lights Boulevard in Anchorage, has prices that are in line with the rest of the shops in the northwest. I like Waters West in Port Angeles for most things. But in Seattle I hear kaufmann's has a good take on the Alaska scene. It depends on what you are looking for. Just about any fly that works here will work up there.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
With all due respect to Little Stone (and I'm sure he didn't mean this literally), whether a fly that works down here will work up there depends on what species of fish you are talking about. If you're talking salmon and steelhead, he's probably right. Trout are a different story. Don't expect to find too many mayflies, hoppers, stoneflies, etc. in the typical AK trout fisher's flybox. There may be some places in AK where trout feed on such things, but I think egg flies, flesh flies, sculpins and streamers are mainly the ticket in most places up there.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Rod,

Hey, it's Drew again. I still highly suggest you wait until you get up there to buy flies for Kodiak. Before my first trip up there, I went to a fly shop down here that has an excellent reputation and bought a handful of flies, which cost me plenty. I did not use ONE of them sucessfully. I ended up going to a local fly shop, where I discovered that the Kodiak flies people up there use are completely different than the ones I was told were essential up there. I also found that they were much cheaper than the ones I bought down here.

Perhaps most important, though, is that if you buy flies up there, you will be more successful at the "fly shop game." The more you go into the shop and chat, buy a few flies, ask for fly recommendations, buy a hat, etc. the more (and better) tips you will get on where to find the fish that week/day. If you just walk in to buy your license and ask where to fish, you will find yourself with all of the rest of the tourists/gear chuckers (not that there's anything wrong with gear chucking, except getting whanged in the head by a pixie spoon with a treble hook on it). Spend some time in the shop, talk about some flies, buy some that they recommend, ask what's the biggest dolly/red/king they've caught on a fly, stop back in and thank them for putting you on a great stretch of river, tell them which flies you caught the fish on, and generally build up a rapport/frienship with the guys/gals in the shop, and you will get into the fish. And you won't have a fly box full of bunny flies that you might as well hang from your rear-view mirror.

If you absolutely need to get some flies down here, pick up a few epoxy minnows in white/blue, white/chartreus, and white,silver for the Dollies.

Again, keep the board up to date on the trip, and hopefully we can meet up when I'm up there in July.

Have fun,

Drew

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drew - thanks for the insight, definitely makes sense. However, I got some 'insider info' from a friend with good AK connections and ordered a pile of egg patterns and some clouser's from Hill's to get me started. I certainly plan to frequent any sort of fly-oriented shops I find.

Leaving two weeks from Monday . . . .

:rofl

·
Mother Nature's Son
1,347 Posts
One thing that I've noticed about salmon fishing in Alaska versus salmon fishing in Oregon, Washington, and B.C. is the size of the flies. Alaskan fish seem a little more willing to take some really large flies.

You might be better off as Little Stone sort of suggested, and buy your flies in Alaska. While I was there, I fished the Little Susitna, which is colored heavy with sediment. Big, bright, flash flies were the ticket for migrating Coho.

In short, while Kaufmann's may have some of the right stuff at their store, you can be gauranteed the the folks in Alaska are dialed in. The only advantage I could see by getting stuff here is if it is too much trouble to stop by a fly shop while you're up there.

Egg-sucking leeches in purple and black work pretty much anywhere for trout, and those trout up there are waiting for the eggs being dropped out of the salmon. The other flies, which were previously mentioned, are the flesh flies.

Skinny

·
Whammo!
494 Posts
You are right on the money with the egg patterns, I would also bulk up on bunny flesh patterns in all colors. Also a insider tip with regards to egg patterns that I learned after hassling every Kenai river guide in Coopers Landing last September....... buy as much pearlescent "sp?" / clear finger nail polish as you can and paint your egg's with it.... it could mean the difference between a 15 fish day and a 30 fish day. This is something I will always do with all egg patterns from that day forward, and really makes your egg immitations mimic what a natural looks like after it has been in the water for awhile.

Just my 2 cents best of luck.. and bag some for the rest of us 9 to 5'ers who can't be there with ya !!:thumb

Mike :beer1 :beer1 :beer1 :beer1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.