Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out to the Seep Lakes in two weeks (Early April). I would love to hear how it has been for trout fishing. From a lot of the posts that I have read these lakes are not worth fishing...

I would like to stay away from the crowds but understand that will be impossible. However, we will be there mid-week so it should be a little better. Right?

Any thoughts on a first time Seep Laker? Specific lakes we should hit?

fishjohn

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
The Seeps are an enigma to the first-timers out there. The problem is that the lakes are cyclic in terms of productivity so what might have have been good last year could be this year's dud and vice versa. And it goes without saying that lakes that are accessible only by foot are going to be a better bet than those that are roadside. It is a place where you need to get whatever kernels of information you can on any lake then play hunches, gamble, explore and experiment until you actually find a lake that produces.

We have caught some monster fish out there on lakes that were supposedly fished out and been skunked on waters that were getting a lot of press. Your best bet is to read up on everything you can and get some ideas on which lakes might be cycling through an up year. Then hike in and give it your best shot. Keep trying until you find a lake that is a winner.

Two things that always made it easier for me were a Fishin' Buddy depth finder on my pontoon boat and a Type VI full sink line. I wouldn't waste a trip out there without a Type VI. With a lot of bright sunny hot days being the rule you are not going to find a whole lot of huge fish in the top 4' of the water column. Get down to where the fish are and you will do much better.

Wear sun screen and be prepared for wind. And if you don't hate cormorants when you get there, you will by the time you get back.

Tight lines, Ive

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.