Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I do not know how to feel about this. Would like everyone else's opinion. On one hand I can see the business is just trying to generate revenue. However, on the one hand something just does not feel right about promoting a fishery that is over promoted. I do not think I am going to get out on the peninsula this year but honestly I am not to sad about due to the worsening conditions out their? Without me present on the OP I am saving the lives of dozens of steelhead.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Jesus..... you internet warriors love to rattle the keyboards over this shit - but it's not that big of a deal.

Regarding access points?! OMG....... Public Fishing and Boat ramp sites..... It's on the WDFW site. A quick overview on techniques? GOD FORBID a fly shop should put something like that together! What nerve!

I don't shop at Orvis - because it's totally out of my way. But, the dudes that work there are good guys. I put on a class out there a couple years ago and had a good time doing it. I didn't get anything for doing it besides free beer and pizza. The people that went were mostly younger dudes who weren't going to shell out $600 for a guided trip. I guess I'm going to Steelhead Hell for whoring out eh?

Anyone who things an hour long class giving a couple pointers is going to collapse the fishery has no idea how it works. These classes discuss technique, gear, and function as a 101 at best. No one's pulling up a list of GPS coordinates for F's sake.

There's about 150,000 guides that advertise the rivers over there..... every single fly shop in the state is emailing their customer database with a picture of practically every fish they catch to drum up business. You've got the cornsuckers from the Drake, Fish the Swing, and every instagram narcissist in the country out there. It's just the way things are..... shoot - there's banner ads on THIS site advertising OP trips.

Here's the only silver lining - the more fishermen who are concerned about the resource - the better shot we have as a group to try and muster even a quarter ounce of unified conservation effort.

So, F you guys. It's not your resource. If people want to learn how to get into it.... F you for not being nice about it and offering just the general minimum of advice so that people can at least get out there with a little confidence and have a good time.

DO - you of all people should consider the absolute encyclopedia of information that's been freely distributed your way - personally, it bums me out that you don't put it to more use!

I'll continue to try and teach people when I can. If it weren't for a couple of guys that took the time out of their lives to share the knowledge they've gathered, I might have given up on the whole thing.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
So, F you guys. It's not your resource. If people want to learn how to get into it.... F you for not being nice about it and offering just the general minimum of advice so that people can at least get out there with a little confidence and have a good time.
Stay classy, a**hole
so sorry I missed your seminar

Like I said, here come the ignorant "the more people who know about the resource"..bullshit

how is that working out for the OP?

It is not. It needs shut down/no fishing/no guiding/no netting/no seminars/no publicity

Wonder what your seminar was? Groundbreaking intellectual wit I am sure.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If I recall, the seminar was called "Intro to Yarnies & Beads - or How I Learned to Love Poop-shaped Weight Clinging to My Blood Knot".

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I do not think I am going to get out on the peninsula this year but honestly I am not to sad about due to the worsening conditions out their? Without me present on the OP I am saving the lives of dozens of steelhead.
Aren't you the one that took like 8 years to catch your first steelhead on the swing? I don't think the fish have too much to worry about with you over there. :D

Just kidding you man!

Not sure what to think about the seminar as I can see logic with both arguments. Lots of folks may attend who never plan on going over there and are just looking for an hour's worth of entertainment. Kind of like going to the Fly Fishing Show only saving $15 for the entrance fee. I wonder how many people won't fish the OP that weekend because they are getting their fishing fix from the free seminar rather than spending the $300 in gas, food, and lodging to go out to the OP instead?

Speaking of the Lynwood fly fishing show, I recall the last couple of years one of the guides who we did a custom raft frame for gave a packed-house presentation on the OP; it was SRO in the big auditorium. Does that mean we shouldn't have sold him a raft frame?

In all honestly, I am not convinced an hour-long Orvis seminar is going to make much difference in the overall abundance of wild steelhead on the OP. It might increase pressure a bit in the short term but that is probably about it. There are already too many other factors at play that are much more relevant.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aren't you the one that took like 8 years to catch your first steelhead on the swing? I don't think the fish have too much to worry about with you over there. :D

Just kidding you man!

Not sure what to think about the seminar as I can see logic with both arguments. Lots of folks may attend who never plan on going over there and are just looking for an hour's worth of entertainment. Kind of like going to the Fly Fishing Show only saving $15 for the entrance fee. I wonder how many people won't fish the OP that weekend because they are getting their fishing fix from the free seminar rather than spending the $300 in gas, food, and lodging to go out to the OP instead?

Speaking of the Lynwood fly fishing show, I recall the last couple of years one of the guides who we did a custom raft frame for gave a packed-house presentation on the OP; it was SRO in the big auditorium. Does that mean we shouldn't have sold him a raft frame?

In all honestly, I am not convinced an hour-long Orvis seminar is going to make much difference in the overall abundance of wild steelhead on the OP. It might increase pressure a bit in the short term but that is probably about it. There are already too many other factors at play that are much more relevant.
Whoa whoa whoa WHOAA. Its been 4 years and has not happened yet (debateable). As far as the topic. Thats why i posted it cause like you i see more sides than one. Im leaning closer to that whole philosophy of every vote counts. The slogans you see on tv, "you can make a difference". Is it probably a minor effect. Yes I think so. However, where do we draw that line ya know?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Listen guys...where else is there to whore out? Lets be real though how many people came to this seminar? Lets say 50 people which would be a great turnout.

Catch magazine just put out an Olympic Peninsula youtube video, when I looked at it the current stats were 33,000 views in a month. Go bitch at them.

This guy aint doing nothing to whore out the resource doing a seminar. Youtube and facebook fisherman are. Seminars have been a staple for guides to promte their business forever and always will be.

·
guide fish don't count
599 Posts
@JesseC @okieboy

The fact is you fellas are part of that bigger (pimping) problem and your "it's all fucked anyways" approach is just a sad excuse to justify the likes. We are all part of the problem but you two have contributed to that next level of whorery that is soiling the experience and in some cases impacting the resource. Please tell me you have donated the equivalent amount of time to conservation.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is kind of off topic but....

I always figured the only reason people wanted to be "famous" was to get laid. Now in this day and age nearly everyone can be "famous" thanks to instagram or facebook or whatever. Wouldn't you want to be famous to 25 year old women instead of a bunch of old dudes? Otherwise whats the point, self serving affirmation?
Just sayin, mostly joking.

Now getting a bunch of people to work to protect something they care about, that's entirely different.

·
Registered
108 Posts
@JesseC @okieboy

The fact is you fellas are part of that bigger (pimping) problem and your "it's all fucked anyways" approach is just a sad excuse to justify the likes. We are all part of the problem but you two have contributed to that next level of whorery that is soiling the experience and in some cases impacting the resource. Please tell me you have donated the equivalent amount of time to conservation.
Im failing to see your point in correlation with mine. The statemente that I am proposing has nothing to do with its all fucked up anyways. I believe in conservation. My simple point is that the reality is the peninsula is the only place at the moment to exploit. I was simply stating the numbers that are out there on how its being exploited.

I believe your 100% right on conservation, I just dont know how my post has anything against it.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
@JesseC @okieboy

This is true, we all need to sacrifice, all need to give more.

If people have not seen, in person, the situation for decades, then they have no point of reference.

They barely quit killing Bison in time, they barely left some old growth trees. People, wanted to kill and cut the last ones. If not for national parks, you'd be guessing what a real forest of old growth looked like.
The steelhead of the OP are in the exact situation. That is no joke.

Unless they are trying to lure in Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos or Paul Allen to the seminars for some side help, the last thing needed is introduce more people to mess with the crashing population of natives trying to spawn.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.