Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my wife and I were enjoying a pleasant new years eve night out at our favorite establishment. When the discussion turned to our upcoming Hawaii trip this summer, I made the mistake of mentioning some gear purchases.

"I don't need much gear other than some quality sunglasses, wading shoes, and a stripping basket". Her eyes light up, she looks at me and says "a stripping what?!!!". I immediately know I'm in for some serious mockery. Shit. Too late now, so I proceed to explain what a stripping basket is, and why I'll need one. Unfortunately justifying the function doesn't help, and every mention of stripping basket just seems to make it worse. "Do you use it with a stripping pole? Is it like the basket on a little girls bike, with plastic flowers and pink ribbons?", etc... etc... It just went downhill from there. At one point I thought she might even wet herself.

So, just saying be advised that the mention of stripping baskets to non-fly fishing spouses/GF's could result in extended mockery at your expense. I might be taking my chances fishing without one in Hawaii.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
So my wife and I were enjoying a pleasant new years eve night out at our favorite establishment. When the discussion turned to our upcoming Hawaii trip this summer, I made the mistake of mentioning some gear purchases.

"I don't need much gear other than some quality sunglasses, wading shoes, and a stripping basket". Her eyes light up, she looks at me and says "a stripping what?!!!". I immediately know I'm in for some serious mockery. Shit. Too late now, so I proceed to explain what a stripping basket is, and why I'll need one. Unfortunately justifying the function doesn't help, and every mention of stripping basket just seems to make it worse. "Do you use it with a stripping pole? Is it like the basket on a little girls bike, with plastic flowers and pink ribbons?", etc... etc... It just went downhill from there. At one point I thought she might even wet herself.

So, just saying be advised that the mention of stripping baskets to non-fly fishing spouses/GF's could result in extended mockery at your expense. I might be taking my chances fishing without one in Hawaii.
Just explain to her that it is used for keeping your clothes dry when fishing the nudist beaches in Hawaii, they always seem top have the most rises!......;)

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Maybe you should offer to give her a demonstration, when you get home.
That probably wouldn't work out well for me. Maybe once I lose 30-ish pounds. Being a big time Chris Farley fan, she'd instantly think of the Chippendale's skit from SNL. That or "fat guy in a little coat" from Tommy Boy (her favorite movie). She'd be incapacitated for quite a while either way.

Has she heard about your stripping apron yet?:D
Oh HELL no! She can NEVER know about stripping aprons!

Just call it your casting basket and don't put the hello Kitty sticker on it until you're at the beach.
Actually that's not a bad idea. Self-mockery might be my best option on this family vacation. The girls, and her entire family, are just as bad. I'm pretty much doomed at this point even if I don't bring a stripping basket.

Just explain to her that it is used for keeping your clothes dry when fishing the nudist beaches in Hawaii, they always seem top have the most rises!......;)
I'll have to check if any of those beaches have fishing potential. Good chance I would clear the place out and have the entire beach to myself. Definitely a situation for fishing barbless though.

·
McFly
401 Posts
My wife made a snide comment to me once about my stripping basket and asked me why I would want one. So, I asked her why she has such a big purse to which she replied "because I need it" to which I said "yep same here" and before the conversation deteriorated any further, I quickly changed the subject (something about checking on our sick dog who I thought I heard barfing on our new carpet in the other room). My wife will never get why I fish and why I need certain fishing related gear, but she does buy me gifts from the local fly shop and we have plenty of other things in common to keep us together, so overall I consider myself fortunate:)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Instead just make up even more ridiculous uses for it.

1- this is my rock collection fanny pack organizing tray. Do not under any circumstances touch it or it's contents.

2- this is my boot storage bucket. I cannot stand putting my wet boots in the sand

3- this is a jello mold and I want to bring it with us to make a special dessert

4- this is my new wallet. I am concerned about thievery.

5 - this is the only thing I am packing. It is my booster seat. I am feeling hot in here.

6- this is a beach toy. I want to find children to play with and make castles with. They will respect me for the size of this bucket. I will be their king.

7- this is for you. If you guess what it is for. Then I will give it to you when the trip is done.

8- I have a medical issue we should discuss after the trip. But I do not wish to discuss this matter with you or anyone else for the next two weeks. (Fake seizure)

9- I have been meaning to tell you about the significant negative side effects of IBS. Please support me by carrying this relief receptical wherever we go together.

Just kidding. It's a fly line retrieval holster designed by a student at MIT. I have been selected to participate in a trial of its effectiveness for the low introductory price of $95.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
My wife made a snide comment to me once about my stripping basket and asked me why I would want one. So, I asked her why she has such a big purse to which she replied "because I need it" to which I said "yep same here" and before the conversation deteriorated any further, I quickly changed the subject (something about checking on our sick dog who I thought I heard barfing on our new carpet in the other room). My wife will never get why I fish and why I need certain fishing related gear, but she does buy me gifts from the local fly shop and we have plenty of other things in common to keep us together, so overall I consider myself fortunate:)
Ah yes, the ol' barfing dog diversion! ;) Sounds like we're in similar boats spousal-wise. Mine's supportive of my fishing problem even though she doesn't get it. Not sure why, but she's also one of those people that's just hard to be mad at, even when she's gasping for air when laughing at you.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Instead just make up even more ridiculous uses for it.

1- this is my rock collection fanny pack organizing tray. Do not under any circumstances touch it or it's contents.

2- this is my boot storage bucket. I cannot stand putting my wet boots in the sand

3- this is a jello mold and I want to bring it with us to make a special dessert

4- this is my new wallet. I am concerned about thievery.

5 - this is the only thing I am packing. It is my booster seat. I am feeling hot in here.

6- this is a beach toy. I want to find children to play with and make castles with. They will respect me for the size of this bucket. I will be their king.

7- this is for you. If you guess what it is for. Then I will give it to you when the trip is done.

8- I have a medical issue we should discuss after the trip. But I do not wish to discuss this matter with you or anyone else for the next two weeks. (Fake seizure)

9- I have been meaning to tell you about the significant negative side effects of IBS. Please support me by carrying this relief receptical wherever we go together.

Just kidding. It's a fly line retrieval holster designed by a student at MIT. I have been selected to participate in a trial of its effectiveness for the low introductory price of $95.
Might actually use the jello mold idea - depending on how much crap I take from everyone (not just the ball 'n' chain) while on vacation. I'm thinkin' a stripping basket "payback special" salad for the first family function we have after we get back from Hawaii. Something disgusting looking, yet actually edible. I'm envisioning lime green jello (seawater) with loose coils of yellow-dyed spagetti (fly line), tiny salad shrimp dyed brown (sand fleas) and bits of sushi seaweed for an authentic touch. Eat this jokers!

The IBS one is funny, but not sure it would be conducive to setting the mood for certain non-fishing vacation activities.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.