Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hot Carl
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to put some roof racks on my Scion XB. The cargo room in the back of the car is massive; But I want to be able to haul more than two people if I have a pontoon or three to take along.

What's the least expensive way to go about getting this done? I know next to nothing about the whole roof rack thing, so I figured any advice I can get here will get me sent in the right direction.

And I need to do this on the cheap. Since I've been out of the job for 1.5yrs now, and am back in school full time, budget is a definite limiting factor.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
If you're really on a budget, just buy the hardware brackets at the hardware store and drill through the roof and bolt it on. Caulk generously. Cheap and functional, but it will further depreciate your car's value a bit more, but who wants a used fishing rig anyway?

Sg

·
Hot Carl
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're really on a budget, just buy the hardware brackets at the hardware store and drill through the roof and bolt it on. Caulk generously. Cheap and functional, but it will further depreciate your car's value a bit more, but who wants a used fishing rig anyway?

Sg
Well, I'm mostly retarded when it comes to doing anything like that. I don't even know what I'd be picking up at the hardware store.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Come on school boy wanderlusting after steelhead...
http://tinyurl.com/29pwkvz Click there and you are all set!
Snell knots are the bee's knees when tied properly!
Knot failure is angler failure, failure of a knot is not an option!

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Dang, ED if I had a 10th of your 'puter smarts, I'd likely have more of my files back after my old box died. However, if I had a 10th of your hair, I'd still be, well . . . bald. Nicely done on the post, however. I'm duly impressed & now even more bald with envy . . .

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thule racks all the way, but they're not cheap. The Yakima load bars are round and the opportunity for brackets to turn on them can be annoying. The Thule load bars are rectangular, eliminating the problem.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
You've got to figure out the width of bars you need and then figure out if your car has raingutters or not. Both Thule and Yakima probably have little programs on their website to do this for you.

Both Thule and yakima are fine in my book and I've had more than one set of each over the years. Yes, the square bars of Thule stop rotation. But the round yakima bars make it easier to create home-brew mounting systems like I did here http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=22416&d=1247248273. You can use pipe clamps or anything that will hold down on a round bar. Either way, Yakima/Thule is no big deal. Buy whichever one you find cheapest.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The Yakima and Thule systems are basically the same (with the previously mentioned exception of the shape of the cross bars) - in fact many accessories will fit on either system (I have mostly Thule systems with a smattering of Yakima stuff). There are essentially three components to these systems: towers (mostly car independent), clips (very car specific - they attach the relatively generic towers to your specific car), and crossbars (also generic - buy vary in length). The easiest thing to do is surf over to either Thule or Yakima's websites and figure out what they suggest for your car and then shop for the appropriate towers and crossbars on CL or eBay followed by a trip to REI of other outdoorsy store for the specific clips for your Scion. Happy shopping!

·
I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!
785 Posts
Mumble FTW!

but i would suggest looking on craiglist for some Yakima Q towers with bars that fit your car...hopefully. Then you can go to REI or wherever and buy the right latch for the QTowers, they mount in your door jam...really easy and usually pretty cheap. Ohhh didn't see Matts' post......What He Said!!!!!!!

·
Love da little fishies
1,678 Posts
Yakima racks have worked for me on many different autos starting with my old 78 Scirocco in the mid 80's. I have hauled all kinds of things on them over the years. Couches, rototillers, bikes, surfboards, canoe. Never had a problem with them. Am still using the original crossbars but have had to change out clips with each car. There was a time when the racks and toys on top were worth more than the car beneath them. Priorities.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.