Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday morning, this was a small, clear, itchy blister a bit smaller than the dark center spot. I lanced it with a sterilized needle to relieve the pressure.
Looks like this now and aches like Hell.
Opinions appreciated; going fishing for a few days next Tuesday and need my thumb.:thumb:
View attachment 34660

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made up a poultice (go Josey Wales) with Epsom salt and baking soda and had it on for about an hour before I took the pic.
No cessation of discomfort.:beathead:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I would agree with probable spider bite, and with the idea of marking the red outline. Most spider bites DO NOT need antibiotics, but when you are dealing with the hand and fingers be careful. If the redness spreads up your thumb, or if your knuckle begins to swell and is painful to bend then see a doctor immediately. Alternatively, if you have been gardening recently it could be rose gardener's thumb (Sporothrix schenckii), in which case it would need anti-fungals.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Go see a Doc . . . bites that result in something that looks like that are best not trifled-with. If you don't take care of it, you may NOT be going fishing . . .

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Read up on this (Sporothrix schenckii) but it is apparently "painless" and this isn't. Some nasty looking crud though.

Have insurance, but not a big "run to the Dr" kinda guy. No offense Rob, but more of a bone sticking' out, blood gushing, time to go to the Dr kinda' guy. I will keep a close eye on it for the next 24 and if it doesn't improve..the sawbones it is.

I'm inclined to go with spider bite of some sort.
Doesn't, or didn't have a blister large enough to be a "hobo" bite. Original blister was about the size of the lead on the end of an unsharpened pencil.

Appreciate everyone's imput.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you're going to wait it out, do like what was suggested before, and mark the area of redness, also if the center spot begins to turn black, or expand it could be a sign of necrosis. If that happens think of it in the realm of bones sticking out/blood gushing. If not treated soon it can lead to long term injury, or amputation. I think preventing that would be worth the deductible. Just sayin.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're going to wait it out, do like what was suggested before, and mark the area of redness, also if the center spot begins to turn black, or expand it could be a sign of necrosis. If that happens think of it in the realm of bones sticking out/blood gushing. If not treated soon it can lead to long term injury, or amputation. I think preventing that would be worth the deductible. Just sayin.
True, true! Pain/tenderness has somewhat subsided at this point.
Keeping a watchful eye on it.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Mark, believe in the recommendations for marking that spot with a circle and monitoring it for changing of size, color and depth of pain. Also be concerned if the pain subsides locally but the wound remains unchanged. Whatever bit you knew you were a sissy, took a nice bite, and some of its venom or whatever is eroding some of your flesh. Your body probably will overcome the damage from this small and insignficant creature, but you should take caution. Go to the doctor, nothing wrong with trying to prevent the necrotizing loss of enough tissue to make your thumb useless. You can fish in some pain, but taking some precaution and letting someone locally check it out is wise.

Trust in Rob, I do.

·
Language, its a virus
1,602 Posts
Mark, go see a doc. I can tell you friends
accounts of being bit by a mystery spider
and how it got worse and worse and into
the hospital. I use my thumbs every day.
I bet you do too.

Dave

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It appears better this morning.
Appointment made for Wednesday just to be safe.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Thank you, now we all feel better for you. take care.

·
Registered
648 Posts
My guess would be a spider bite. This seems to be a big year for them. Glad you are seeing a doc.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.