Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as I no longer have convenient access to a smoker, I've been considering brining salmon before vacuum packing them and tossing them in the freezer, and then either tossing them in the smoker when I can borrow one again, or onto the BBQ as a fallback.

Anyone out there have any experience with either approach? Seems like either would work fine but I thought I'd ask first.

Many thanks.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
Seeing as I no longer have convenient access to a smoker, I've been considering brining salmon before vacuum packing them and tossing them in the freezer, and then either tossing them in the smoker when I can borrow one again, or onto the BBQ as a fallback.

Anyone out there have any experience with either approach? Seems like either would work fine but I thought I'd ask first.

Many thanks.
I use a plain old weber charcoal grill to smoke fish, if I'm not doing a whole bunch at a time. You can smoke on a normal gas grill also, but it is a real pain in the ass. Hell, I've seen people use cardboard boxes and a coffee can to cold smoke fish.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Going the other way, while I've never done it with fish, I have dropped steak and marinade in a milk carton and then frozen it until I BBQ. It works pretty well. And, you can use the milk carton as ice until the steak thaws if you are out camping.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
I just freeze 'em unbrined. If I want to smoke some, I'll brine 'em right after I thaw 'em. Salmon carcasses frozen in the round filet out really nicely just as they are almost thawed out, but still a bit stiff in the center. I hardly ever freeze much salmon, so I usually have room for a Coho carcass or two. My freezer is empty right now, except for ice. I have room in there for at least two!

The cheap gas grills made in China that I used to get at Wankermart always rusted out in a little over one year, due to grilling brined or teriyaki cuts on it. Lots of teriyaki! I probably should have hosed it down really good after each use, but I've never done that. I'm going to spend more $$ up front and get a stainless steel gas grill this time. It will be cheaper in the long run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.