Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never really understood bowfishing. I mean sure, I thought were kind of cool in a ******* olympics sort of way. But is it really a big hobby?

More specifically, is it a big enough hobby that the Lacey Cabelas has not one, not two, but THREE different bowfishing combos on sale this month?

Maybe I'm behind the times.

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,158 Posts
Just about any archery pro shop has bowfishing stuff, Josh. I plan on doing it this year myself, which is one reason I outfitted the drift boat with a stern-mounted trolling motor. It's challenging, and most of the time, I gather folks go for carp.

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,158 Posts
something else comes to mind, when I see those guys hitting fish on the fly. We treat hunting as a hobby in this century, but take this back, say, 500 years or more. It wasn't a hobby then. A decent Eurasian horse archer could hit a teacup at 70 yds at full gallop: no compound, no release, no sights.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Well there are only a few things you can go after with bow and arrow. Carp is one, but from there on down it is all over my head.

But there are poachers in all sports. I saw a Chum Salmon with an arrow sticking out of it's back on a small feeder stream of the N/F Stilly one winter a few years back. I could of reached it but I didn't want to. I would of had to kill it to get it out. But it didn't seem to bother the fish because it was swimming OK.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I might have pulled the arrow so it didnt end up in the bottom of the river. or slicin up someones waders!

·
retiredfishak
2,572 Posts
They give away trucks and cash up to five thousands dollars at some tournaments, the first year in Moses lake they harvested 12 tons of carp, it helps the game D from poisoning Moses

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi josh.
i think that it is more of something to do for bow-hunters in the off-season.
i know that's what has me interested in it.
i have my spare bow rigged up for bow-fishing. still haven't used it though. my target will be carp. the main reason that i haven't used it yet is that i have a problem with killing something that i'm not going to consume. i release all the fish that i catch. there's the problem. not releasing the fish from the bow. and i won't waste them.
with me, it was something that i thought i'd do to keep in practice for bow-hunting. the more that i thought about it though, the less practical it seemed. at least for me.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Actually, bowfishing is a ball! Shots are more difficult than they look & it gives folks an opportunity to use their bows in the off-season (plus eliminates a few Carp). In the right areas, Carp, Bullfrogs, Gar, Paddlefish and others can be legal (and some downright thrilling) quarry.

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
I used to do it when I was a kid for carp near Chicago. We'd throw some bread onto the surface of a pond and wait for them to surface.

Then one day someone called the cops on my friend and me. They thought we were shooting ducks. That was the end of my bow.

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
The bread attracted ducks in addition to carp. We were careful to shoot well clear of ducks, but not all the namby-pamby ninnies in the park agreed, so they called the fuzz. The fuzz called my mom who confiscated my bow.

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,737 Posts
The bread attracted ducks in addition to carp. We were careful to shoot well clear of ducks, but not all the namby-pamby ninnies in the park agreed, so they called the fuzz. The fuzz called my mom who confiscated my bow.
I used to hate it when my parents took my cool shit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.