Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Make sure you have an ample supply of hopper patterns this summer. This could be fun!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011921244_grasshoppers22m.html

PULLMAN - The Pacific Northwest must prepare for the worst grasshopper outbreak in 30 years.

Scientists for Washington State University and the USDA found a big increase in the number of grasshopper eggs last fall, and a relatively mild spring has set the stage for a major grasshopper infestation.

Last summer, grasshoppers wiped out 7,000 acres of grassland in southeastern Oregon's high desert.

The areas considered at most risk in Washington are the high desert regions near Othello, Yakima and the Tri-Cities. The infestation is expected to hit its peak in late July and early August. Federal officials are looking into pesticide options.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Pesticides?... I think I like this all natural idea:
"A better solution is to employ busloads of elemenatary school boys to catch them . Then deposit the hoopers in local lakes and rivers as fish food...."
haha

·
Registered
270 Posts
well thats badnews for farmers and the small amount of native grasslands we have. BUT i like to look on the bright side and now im very happy that i have been tying lots of hopper patterns already. i have always had an obsession with tying hoppers anyways

-Connor

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Great pic, Jason . . . a couple f'in' hoppers. Bad news for green plants & farmers, good news for fish & fisherman. Too bad Ringold isn't open for Steel in the summer . . . I've done well in years past with dry hopper patterns & I may have to include a few streams in my Summer sabbaticals back home to Montana this year. Good opportunity to take young 'uns out with their BB-guns . . . hoppers can be most entertaining. Not effective insect control, but the kids have a blast!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.