Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love it or hate it? My neighbor wears hearing aids and says he cannot hear the annoying sound as that line rubs against the guides (I told him he's fortunate :D). I have a theory as to why he's not having as much luck connecting with participants while striping streamers. Some might argue that any of that noise/vibration transmitted down the line might be a stimulus, but I suspect otherwise.

Today we had the same set-up (he was using my pattern) and neither of us could connect using his rod. My rod on the other hand, Cortland no-skin, had several encounters. Anyone having luck using Sharkskin for streamer duty?

Water Casting (fishing) Plant Body of water Angling

Then, after swirling through the valley twice without hitting us... we made it to the truck just before this systems third and accurate pass was in full swing.

Cloud Sky Mountain Plant Natural landscape

Reactions: Kyle Smith

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have had good luck with it and currently still use it on my 6 weight to throw streamers. I actually like the slickness and it shoots out line like a champ, seems to be a good compliment for fast action rods.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am completely deaf in one ear, partially deaf (hearing aid) in the other, and that line noise still irritates the crap out of me. Tried the line when it first came out (succumbed to the marketing spiel) but dumped them pretty quick. Wulff TT for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
Never tried one and may not as long as I can get the SA lines I like without it. Fishing to me is about enjoying the surroundings and the equipment I am using, as much as about numbers. I am not convinced the extra foot or two of shoot is worth the downside.

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
The one Sharkskin line I have is okay.. I have one of the 1st generation one that can really cut up your fingers if you're not careful. Initially the sound was irritating, but I found when fishing moving water I never really hear it. Or maybe I just get focused and don't let it annoy me..

My main concern was the effect on the guides over time.. It does cast well and I use it occasionally for dry fly fishing. Good marketing! Not really necessary, if you know how to cast well!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Would the same "noise" translate to Recoil guides? I have heard they sing also.

BTW, fly fishing has never appealed to me as a quiet pastime. Line smacking water, clattering through guides, slapping the rod. Splashing through water in a moon suite--falling into water--clinking and clanking of 40 pounds of gear. Then the hoorah! Reels that compete with juvenile crows for control of the sound waves. If you want quiet, use a spin rod.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Mountain out of a molehill. Send your sharkskin lines to me. I'll catch plenty of fish on them.

Reactions: Delete MeToo

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had good luck with it and currently still use it on my 6 weight to throw streamers. I actually like the slickness and it shoots out line like a champ, seems to be a good compliment for fast action rods.
Theory-buster! :D

Mountain out of a molehill. Send your sharkskin lines to me. I'll catch plenty of fish on them.
Really... I would have never had you pegged as a textured line aficionado. Do you also drink Dos Equis? ;)

Flat out find it so irritating to listen to it, recycled mine
Word. (actually, I must confess the sound is fun... for about 15 minutes).

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Really... I would have never had you pegged as a textured line aficionado. Do you also drink Dos Equis?
No, I prefer a nice Porter. Anything that inhibits light passing through and isn't stupidly over hopped up.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I have the old "Textured" series Streamer Express, Magnum, and Nymph lines. They cast great and once they get worn a bit, the noise goes down. They don't hurt my fingers, but the original Sharkskin did. It was pretty durable also.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the old "Textured" series Streamer Express, Magnum, and Nymph lines. They cast great and once they get worn a bit, the noise goes down. They don't hurt my fingers, but the original Sharkskin did. It was pretty durable also.
OK, but you use to catch even more and larger fish with streamers before using textured lines... right?

Besides my theory getting trashed, what exactly is the magic with the textured lines? All those facets just increase total surface area and provide more real estate for dirt to adhere too. Did the guys at Titleist happen to be drinking hooch and smoking cigars around the campfire with boys from RIO on night, and the marketing epiphany suddenly happened?

Noise scares trout. Textured lines (Kyle's worn out lines aside) make noise. Textured lines for streamer fishing equals fewer fish. You can't argue with the math :D.

Reactions: Kyle Smith

·
Registered
436 Posts
OK, but you use to catch even more and larger fish with streamers before using textured lines... right?

Besides my theory getting trashed, what exactly is the magic with the textured lines? All those facets just increase total surface area and provide more real estate for dirt to adhere too. Did the guys at Titleist happen to be drinking hooch and smoking cigars around the campfire with boys from RIO on night, and the marketing epiphany suddenly happened?

Noise scares trout. Textured lines (Kyle's worn out lines aside) make noise. Textured lines for streamer fishing equals fewer fish. You can't argue with the math :D.
I don't think there is any magic to the line besides its slick casting. But if I am floating and tossing streamers for browns, I just like the line speed for when I am throwing many casts throughout the day. As for the noise, I actually like to splash my streamers against the banks anyways which can get some attention from some fish causing them to ambush the fly. Just my two cents.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think there is any magic to the line besides its slick casting. But if I am floating and throwing streamers for browns, I just like the line speed for when I am throwing many casts throughout the day. As for the noise, I actually like to splash my streamers against the banks anyways which can get some attention from some fish causing them to ambush the fly. Just my two cents.
So they claim less running friction against the guides? If so, I'd love to see the math on that one. Splash is good (baitfish splash), but they don't vibrate... or do they? Oh contraire Mr. Ed, this is definitely a mountain.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
If you keep them clean they float higher. The textured surface improves casting at a cost of being more abrasive to soft surfaces (skin). Mountain because you make it one. Don't like them, don't buy then cry. That's my point. I prefer airflow Ridge lines, but the sharkskin work well for me. Yes, even with streamers for trout.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.