Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Shock and Awe

SBS 
9K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Jack MeHoff 
#1 ·
This fly pattern and SBS are contributed to Anil. He was kind enough to take time out from hitting the local beaches to do this up for us. Anil runs a local shop called Puget Sound Fly Co. and are one of the site's sponsors. Thanks Anil!

Recipe:
TUBE: HMH Small plastic tubing
THREAD: Uni 3/0
CONEHEAD: Spirit River Crosseyed Cone 3/8" nickel
EYES: 3.0 3D eyes
BELLY: White Farrar Blend
BODY: White Farrar Blend with Opal Polar Flash
BACK: Grey Farrar blend
WING: Black Holographic Flashabou blended with: Purple, royal blue, chartreuse and black peacock herl

This fly can be done in three sizes:
Small (roughly 2.5" 3+ weight rods)
Medium (4"-5" 7+weight rods)
Large (5+" 10+ weight rods)

This SBS is for a Medium size Shock and Awe

STEP 1: cut tube to 1 ¼ " length and melt rear end (not yours, just the tube)

STEP 2: On top of the tube, tie in a clump of polarflash and Farrar blend half of the desired amount, fold over and taper to desired shape and length. This will be the longest portion of the fly, so determine overall length now.

STEP 3: Repeat step 2 with Grey Farrar blend, making this clump slightly shorter.

STEP 4: Blend black Holo Flashabou and mixture of peacock herl. Tie this in with the tips facing forward and roughly 80% of overall length of the fly.

STEP 5: Tie in a clump of Peacock Farrar blend with material extending both forward and rearward.

STEP 6: Tie in a clump of White Farrar blend (roughly 50% of overall fly length) directly underneath the tube.

STEP 7: Fold back all of the material that is extending forward of the tubing and slide conehead over.

STEP 8: Melt front of tubing while forcing the cone against the tie in area

STEP 9: Hang the completed fly by the tail and fill conehead with rod-builders epoxy, add junction tubing and fish...

Enjoy!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #8 ·
Sweet, after Leland's popper was posted, I was hoping that this would be added to the SBS. Now if someone can add a chum baby, a scud, and a mysid/euphausid pattern, a salt-water fisher's box would be largely complete.
Add it to the sticky and I'll see what I can do. I've cleared out over half the requests...getting almost time for some more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.