Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grains are measured and recommended for rod weights. 8 weight 200-325 grains.(per say) If a line has a 32 foot 375 grain with 90 feet of running line and I cut it back to 24 feet...does that line now become acceptable to an 8 weight (I figured you cut 25% off now it is a approx 285 grain) is this math correct with regards to weighted line and casting ? Confused on this......I have heavier lines and want to down size.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yes. I've done this very thing. The problem comes in shooting the line since you now only can have 24' of line outside the rod tip before you let it fly. Shouldn't be a real problem though. I would cut a foot at a time until it felt right. Remember you can cut it off but you can't get it back without loop to loop connections.

Randy

·
Banned
126 Posts
It all boils down to what 8 weight you own and what you are going to do with the line. If you are going to saltwater fish from a boat, 32' of sinking head is an advantage although in a river enviroment for steelhead, a 32' sinktip is just too long for the vast majority of conditions and situations you will face.

Most fast action 8 weights will have no problem throwing 375 grains of sinktip. In fact, I have been known to cast 400 grain heads on a 7 weight.

So dont chop the line until you in fact try that line on your particular rod unless a shorter head is preferred.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I'm not sure about your formula. Obviously, cutting the line will remove some weight, but I don't know if it is as straightforward as 25% of length equals 25% of weight. If the line is tapered, some feet are going to weigh more than others, aren't they?

I can tell you that my Sage 8-wt RPL casts beautifully with a 30' 300-grain head looped to 100' of level running line, and it seems to cover most conditions for saltwater coho or rockfish fishing (from a boat; it's too heavy for shore fishing, unless you're fishing a vertical drop-off).

I can also tell you that a 30' Rio shooting head (with loop attached) only costs $20 bucks or so.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Many shooting head users overline their rods by one or even two line sizes. When using braided or mono shooting line, which adds almost no extra weight, an 8-weight shooting head rig actually weighs less than a long-cast amount of WF8 line. Try your heavier heads before trimming them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.