Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Nicholas. He's 11 years old and is a fly fishing fanatic. He's fished with Sean McAfee down the Yakima. He ties flies. He hangs out at the shop. I put him to work.

Leland.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Meanwhile in the background Derek is trying to tie up a spool knot. "Leland, was that left over right or right over left?"
What kind of work did you get out of him? You guys should be proud to get him into the sport.

·
Registered
76 Posts
that was totally me about 10 yrs ago... my mom would take me into town whenever she would go grocery shopping or get her nails done and i would go BS with the guys at the local shop and tie glo-bugs and spankers until my fingers bled. My mom always called it the best daycare she could have asked for... they kept me out of trouble, and fueled my love for fishing! what more could a kid want!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Mumbles, I forgot to knot your backing. But then, you'll never use it :)
Good one, Derek....applies to me as well !!:beathead:bawling:

Jc

·
545 Posts
Sorry buddy, I'm not trying to avoid you. Last time I was in there you were out doing your usual galavanting on the company dime; or should I call it research. Wintergrass could not have gone better. What a blast! I don't want to hijack the thread, so I will have to come see you and tell you all about it soon. In the meantime, try to keep those Steelies from getting too far up you ass...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Good for you giving him something to do. When I was in college I worked in a ski/board shop. We had a couple kids that constantly hung out around the shop. One day we decided to put the kids to work. They stopped by about 3 times a week and we always had something for them to do. After a month or so of this their mother stopped in and thanked us for keeping her kids out of trouble. We didn't realize it but before we started putting them to work they were getting into a lot of trouble. Both because they didn't have any spending cash and because they were bored with nothing better to do.

You probably have really made him a very happy kid.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Years ago, at the now defunct Guide Fly Shop north of Bellingham, there was a kid who was always hanging out, tying flies and helping any way he could. I happened to know him as he and his family were patients of mine (still are). Fast forward 10 or 12 years and Barrett Mattison just came out with an awesome book on Fly Fishing Argentinian Patagonia and guiding in Alaska and Patagonia. He just gave a talk to our fly club and he is living the life! Leland-who knows what influence you guys will have on this young man, but it will be a good one! Rick

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello Leland;

I have a young friend, now 13, who got his start in all things fly fishing at the Orvis store in Santa Fe. He spends 2 weeks here in the Summer visiting his grandparents on Harstine Island. I've been able to introduce him to some of the local streams and to the beach for SRC. Early one morning we walked to the beach and he opens his fly box to show me the Clousers he had tied up. Then he proceeds to take out a Sharpie and colors up the back of one just the way he wants it to look. He then proceeds to land 3 Rezzies while I'm just looking on. He complained some about not finding any SRC but I told he had to be patient. Later, he came running up the steps to our place wearing a big grin. He had landed one that couldn't fit into his 16 inch net.

My advice: take Nicholas fly fishing and watch him having fun. The time spent will lighten up your heart and provide wonderful memories for you both.

John P.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Mumbles, I forgot to knot your backing. But then, you'll never use it :)
Backing is over rated. Fewer knots to tie, less to spool up. Scotch tape on the reel arbor to hold the end of the fly line until you get a few coils spooled up. You should try it!

·
Bobbers n Beadz
936 Posts
Atta boy Nick! Hope to meet you sometime, It took me until I was 16 years old to get a job at a fly shop... Great job, good luck, and pay attention!!!

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Look at that grin!! says it all

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.