Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 20 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
How about one made using Bob Nunley's one piece 5' 4wt taper? It's fun to cast, but frustrating and difficult to hook fish with more than 20-25 feet of line out. I haven't used it in years. Maybe someone will fall in lust with it & buy it!

I also made a Cattanach 6042 6' 4wt. Like most of Wayne's tapers, it's from the Paul Young milling machine templates. This is a fun rod to fish with.

Tom

·
FISHON206
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
How about one made using Bob Nunley's one piece 5' 4wt taper? It's fun to cast, but frustrating and difficult to hook fish with more than 20-25 feet of line out. I haven't used it in years. Maybe someone will fall in lust with it & buy it!

I also made a Cattanach 6042 6' 4wt. Like most of Wayne's tapers, it's from the Paul Young milling machine templates. This is a fun rod to fish with.
Both those rods qualify and sound very interesting........:rolleyes:??

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
I have a true Banty available to cast. Its a 5'9", made by Clifford Constable. Aptly named " The Dart". Short, fast and deadly accurate. At least thats the way it feels in hand. Made specifically for casting in tight quarters.
I like it with a 4wt.

Here is a partial scan from a 1972 Anglersmail catalog about the Dart.

Font Number Paper Document Screenshot

TC

·
Registered
899 Posts
I really like Tim's collection of Constables. Great casting rods.

My best "banty" story: Several years ago, on a summer trip to the Sound, I accidentally brought the tip and butt sections from two different rods. Rather than go home, I fished with just the tip section (about 51" with graphite sleeve ferrule), and the reel in my pocket. By extending my arm, I was able to cast 20-30', which was far enough to interest the sea-runs on a cloudy morning, including a nice 14" fish. Definitely a memorable day.

Tom

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
I really like Tim's collection of Constables. Great casting rods.

My best "banty" story: Several years ago, on a summer trip to the Sound, I accidentally brought the tip and butt sections from two different rods. Rather than go home, I fished with just the tip section (about 51" with graphite sleeve ferrule), and the reel in my pocket. By extending my arm, I was able to cast 20-30', which was far enough to interest the sea-runs on a cloudy morning, including a nice 14" fish. Definitely a memorable day.

Tom
Great story Tom. "When life brings you lemons make lemonade".

TC

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I've been thinking about turning the tip and mid from a rapidan into a shorty rod. This might motivate me to get it done.
I took an 8-1/2' Rapidan down to about 7' by shortening the butt in half and rewrapping the guides. Too long for the 6' shootout but it will cast as far as you could ever want and loves to be double-hauled. Fun rod.

1 - 20 of 319 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.