Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retired, gone fishin'
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of 10' Sawyer fiberglass oars and need 9'ers for my drift boat. I'm contemplating sawing a little off the top end and resetting the handles to make them 9' long.
Does anyone have any knowledge of this?
My concern is weakening or fraying the f.glass tube while sawing. I was thinking tape the cut line heavily and the skil saw or hack saw.
A guy could re-glass a thin 3" wide shoulder of new f.glass just below the cut to reinforce it.
Any feedback is appreciated.
Can't really afford new oars and tough to sell these it seems.

·
Premium Member
2,409 Posts
I don't have any experience in cutting down fiberglass oars, but I think your approach is spot on. I would use a hack saw.
Depending how tight the handle fits, you could dip the open end of the tube in epoxy/fiberglass resin to build up thickness.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Use a dremel or another friction disc type saw. The other option is a table saw with a non-segmented diamond blade. Always roll the shaft into it...so your cutting into the leading edge and don't blow out the trailing.

Taping the cut line is always a good idea.

Any saw with teeth will just tear it and pull strands. You won't be happy with the outcome.

·
Retired, gone fishin'
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realize that this is a different beast but some of the info may be helpful.
http://www.paddlesandoars.com/U-CUT-DIRECTIONS.html
You might contact Sawyer and try to pick their brain before...
I called Sawyer and talked for 15 minutes to a guy there. He said it is doable with the only side effect being the rope wrap would be out place somewhat. He recommended a chop or miter saw but didn't mention blade type.

·
Make my day
4,820 Posts
Grit blade on the chop saw. Go slow and it will make a clean cut. I've cut a bunch of fiberglass using this method.

Reactions: wanative

·
Registered
118 Posts
I called Sawyer and talked for 15 minutes to a guy there. He said it is doable with the only side effect being the rope wrap would be out place somewhat. He recommended a chop or miter saw but didn't mention blade type.
I did end up rewrapping after I cut the oars down. They were still functional, but about two-thirds of the rope was above the oar stop. Looked funky.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.