Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
born to work, forced to fish
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started cleaning the gunk out of my reloaders. I've been loading on my 366 lately and noticed it's a bit slow. I read the manual and it recommends cleaning it yearly or so. Mine's about 30 years old so I guess it could benefit from a little degunking. Anyways I have a Hornady 366 in 12 and 20 and a Mec 650 in 20 gauge. The Mec twirls like brand new as it got spiffied up last night.

So far I've shot somewhat more than a flat of shells at the skeet range getting tuned up for the dove opener.

Shotgun got sent back to the gunsmith because of doubling. It's a bit disconcerting to have the gun go ba-bam when swinging on a single.

·
Blind hog fisherman
2,895 Posts
I had two guns that doubled, a Browning Lightening which Browning swore couldn't double, until they repaired it. I also have a Parker Repro that used to double. Apparently, doubling was fairly common in original Parkers and the Repros were produced and did the same thing.

Great fun shooting skeet before dove season starts. Try shooting low gun with the puller throwing the targets when they want and not on your command. Might as well get some "Damn, missed," practice in, too.

·
Blind hog fisherman
2,895 Posts
The best shooting sport I ever did was the wobble skeet at Ft. Lewis. The traps operated in constant verticle and horizontal oscillation with interrupters so you never knew what your target was going to be. There were no singles, it was always report pairs or true pairs,

I never saw anyone run a straight. If I was pulling and one of my friends were running a "straight", I put on end to it pretty quick. And they paid me the same courtesy. A really quick bird pull or a 10 second delay was all it took. You never saw so much laughing and cuss in'! It was also the best prep for bird season possible. I don't know why more clubs don't have it.

The hassle getting on the Fort was worth it. Can you even get on Lewis-McChord now?

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
"Damn, missed," practice in, too.
Lol, I've never needed to practice that, particularly with regard to Doves. As far as cleaning/maintaining reloading equipment, I keep mine covered, cleaned, & lubed - as my Sainted Father once told me after inspecting some of his tools that I had been using: "Clean tools are happy tools and mine are always smiling." That advice stuck.

G

·
Lol, I've never needed to practice that, particularly with regard to Doves. As far as cleaning/maintaining reloading equipment, I keep mine covered, cleaned, & lubed - as my Sainted Father once told me after inspecting some of his tools that I had been using: "Clean tools are happy tools and mine are always smiling." That advice stuck.
Dirty tools are like a dull knife, somebody's going to get hurt !

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,159 Posts
I've got some Mec's in 20, but don't use it, having gone back to that 12 last season. And since it's all non-tox, no sense in reloading that-it's "finicky"......My dad really got into steel before he passed away, and was always wanting to use me as a guinea pig for a new "warp 9" load he'd cooked up. A 1 and 7/8 oz of metal propelled at speeds that would escape the gravity of a black hole did NOT help my shoulder.......once I retrieved it from Colusa County: our club was in Sutter County..............:eek:

·
born to work, forced to fish
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I picked up another press the other day. Found a Grabber in 12 gauge for sale at a good price. It was missing a couple of parts that should be here in a week. Once I'm sure it's running I'll probably put it up for sale.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.