Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
When I was heavily into fishing for salmon,steelhead, SRC, me and the guys moved around quite a lot. We always put our rods inside the rig.

Plus, as Jim mentioned, I have no decals on my rig that indicates I'm into flyfishing. Decals are indeed an advertisement for tweakers to break into your rig in search of flyfishing gear they can steal and sell.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
This would be mainly when I am going to and from the river......as well as while I am jumping between spots on the river.
Even then I put the rod in my car. I drive a small VW hatchback and I can fit 14ft spey rods in my car with this method.

1. Hook your fly to the guide directly above the middle ferrule and reel up the line so it's nearly tight.
2. Break the rod into two and stash it in the car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even then I put the rod in my car. I drive a small VW hatchback and I can fit 14ft spey rods in my car with this method.

1. Hook your fly to the guide directly above the middle ferrule and reel up the line so it's nearly tight.
2. Break the rod into two and stash it in the car.
That is my current set up, but have ended up with a tangled mess a couple times.

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
I just had a rod break in half when my buddy who was driving slammed on his brakes and the cooler slide into the rod...
Use a rod tube. You can slide the rod in there still rigged up.
I like to use a two piece rod tube. I just take the rod in half while it's strung up and slide it in.
My Forester easily fits a fully rigged and assembled 9.5' rods with the 40 for the 60/40 split rear seat down. As I'm planning to get a truck, I've been thinking about how I'll store and secure various types of gear. Storing and carrying rods is a big downside to a truck vs SUV IMO.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
*I guess I resurrected this thread in my response to a recent similar inquiry. I've received some responses to this post in 2021 so I'm editing it to include a couple of minor but effective changes I've made over the last two years.

It may be hard to understand but here is a poor man's rod holder I've used for years in my SUV to drive from place to place with rigged one-handed rods. They are up out of the way from other cargo so they don't get damaged. It bounces up and down slightly but the reel slipped in between the two rear bungees holds the rods (I've had up to three) *pretty very securely with a passenger in the back seat. So far so good.

There are retracting hooks in the roof of my SUV on each side just behind the rear seats to connect a cargo net.
I hook two bungee cords across the hooks. *I now wrap one bungee over the other a couple of times to make ><><>< "slots" to secure the reels into, that prevents forward- backward and lateral movement of the rods. I take another bungee and hook it across the rear passenger grab handles.
Rod Holder3.JPG

1. *Reel in and hook the fly to hook keeper or the guide directly above the middle ferrule and into the tip guide. Reel up the line so it's nearly tight loose enough to separate the rod into two halves then remove the slack to keep the fly in the tip.
2. Separate the rod into two pieces with the tip at the ferrule end of the butt-handle section.
2.a Use rubber bands (or something) to hold the divided rod sections' "tip" and butt end together.
3. Put both rod halves over the three bungees
4. Put the reel between the *two rear bungee ><><|>< "slots" so it becomes a "stop".

Rod Holder1.JPG
Rod Holder2.JPG

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I use the Brian Miller method with a slight variation. I stretch a bungee between the handles above the passenger doors. In the rear, I hang the butts from a small bungee attached to the child seat connection. Good for up to 9 ft. Spey and euro I break down and stick on the bungee.

Also, like Brian, I use a yellow bungee up front....

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.