Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

shrimp?

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Steelheader69 
#1 ·
Hey, so the last few times through SW Washington, I've been met with empty bait cooler racks in gas stations I'm usually able to purchase a dozen shrimp. What gives?

G
#4 ·
What texanflyfisher said! Your camo wearing buds that love to low hole and post up on the fishing bucket all day losing slinky weights with bait have picked up all the shrimp bait and cheap beer so ask them.

#6 ·
The guy who gets them from Astoria hasn't made a delivery since before Thanksgiving, and from what I understand no one can get ahold of him.....that being said, I work in a shop and guide, so I hear all about everything "steelhead" flyfishing or not.....no need to bash me here, just passing on info.

G
#11 ·
Yeah my last cheap woman is still charging me monthly. Just givin you some shit because you guy fish like a bunch of @SS%*$#@. The pics made me smile its good to see you guys hunting and gathering.LOL no offense.

#12 ·
You gotta go find a mudflat with a lot of small holes in it and poke some big holes in it right over the small holes, and find 'em yourself. I use a clam tube. Some people use sandshrimp pumps. Try low tide.
I've never bought any. I have a couple of super-secret locations where i can find them. I never give these spots up, as the better known spots that have access get hammered. I just get what i think I'll need for one or two days fishing. I know I can always go get more. You can usually find them on most of the ocean beaches here, but higher up than where clams are found. I like to get 'em inside the bay from a mudflat, as they are much more concentrated there than on the sandy ocean beaches. They don't keep very well. About three or four days max before they expire and begin to stink. I keep mine cool, sometimes in the fridge, and usually with some seaweed or kelp that they can hide under. Don't drown 'em. Just keep them moist. It helps to rinse 'em with fresh seawater periodically.

#15 ·
He probably meant it towards me. Since I am the "fisherman", not a fly angler. ;) LOL. Yup, tip that fly or jig with a sandshrimp tail and hold on baby. ;)

LOL. Seriously. I'm going to have to ban Jim Wallace for giving up all that info. How dare you. :) Ok, just kidding again. But I do the same if I need some sandshrimp.

And, lastly, the low end gear guys who wear camo, drink cheap beer, drive super lifted trucks, with cheap girlfriends don't use bait. They just snag. Come on, you guys don't know gear guys at all. :)

#16 ·
Jerry's too kind. You have a fellow who asks a straight forward question (this being a fly fishing fora or not) and you give him that/those kinds of answers? Not good, not good at all. And if you have to ask the 'why' of the "not good,'' there's zip I could post that would put a dent in your thick skull.

fae

#17 ·
Fred, I can see some of the guys point. We get alot of trolls here. But some guys (myself is one) feel that there may be more "multi talented" individuals when it comes to fishing (notice I said TALENTED LOL). So hoping maybe someone here may know. I don't fish bait that often, and usually I pump my own out of the sand if I use any. But there is a couple places that always have them. But they themselves pump locally (out towards Montesano). So usually aren't dependant on Oregon distributors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.