Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Featherdustser meets a Quigley Cripple; found this on the FlyfishYellowstone blog

hook - Dai Riki 305 #16
thread - Uni 8/0 Rusty Dun
rib - small wire gold
tail/body - ostrich herl
wing - deer hair
hackle - barred cream

mash barb, start thread, tie in rib, wrap to bend

measure (shank length), tie in a pair of ostrich herls

twist together, wrap to 3/4 mark; tie off/trim

counterwrap rib, helicopter end, cover with thread

clean, stack, measure (shank length) a clump of deer hair; tie in, take a few wraps in front to stand up the wing, trim butts

tie in hackle; wrap, half hitch x 2, SHHAN

trim out underneath (optional)

Regards,
Scott

·
www.riverforged.com
564 Posts
Looks like an awesome pattern! That thing is going to ride nice and low in the back, awesome profile up front, and just enough to keep it in the surface film. Cant wait to fish this on some glassy spring creeks or lakes. TASTY!!!

·
www.riverforged.com
564 Posts
All of my ostrich is colored and set aside for intruders right now, picking some up for trout flies this week. In the meantime, I used this as inspiration for a green drake which I usually tie as a parachute, but looking forward to fishing this style more.

Brown poly yarn, dyed green pheasant tail fibers, some light olive wire (also tied a few using a cream colored kevlar thread as rib), badger hackle, and died olive coastal deer which is from a patch with very subtle coloring, leaving the tips looking quite natural.

Plant Liquid Insect Sky Twig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.