Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Simms Wading Staff

6K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  Larry Tullis 
#1 ·
A little over two weeks ago, I did the most remarkable dance in the middle of the Skykomish River. It lasted about five minutes, and ended, happily for me, with me on my feet. The reason for the dance was a Simms wading staff that collapsed on me at a critical moment. I am 70 years old and less steady on my feet in the river than I once was. Last March, I finally gave in and purchased what I thought was the top of the line wading staff. On paper, and in the shop, it was really great. It folded into a sheath and self assembled simply by pulling on the top segment. The staff was maintained assembled by a small pin that extended through a hole in the top segment.

After my super Simms staff collapsed, and my dance was over, I made my way to shore and examined it. Examination of the locking pin revealed that it was stuck in the tube and never really went through the hole. Thus, it was never locked and came apart easily. When I tried to get the pin to extend completely, it fell off into the tube.

Needless to say, the next day I fumed into the shop where I had purchased the staff, intent on doing some harm. The shop owner replaced the staff with another brand, which is less “perfected” and certainly more reliable. After that, I began to do a little research. This was two weeks ago. The first thing I did was go to the Simms web site. In very small print at the bottom of the home page there are simply the words “recall information”. Now, before the staff collapsed, I would have had to go to the Simms site, and then to the recall information page. However, having purchased the top of the line staff, I had absolutely no reason to go there before the collapse. Between the time I purchased the staff and the time it failed on me, I visited two shops that sell Simms products, but there was absolutely no indication that the staffs were defective. Furthermore, the shops were simply informed that the staffs were being recalled, but not why. As a result, they only returned unsold stock. So, what I am trying to say is that there wasno way that I could have known that the staff was defective. This is like selling a car with no brakes and failing to tell the buyer. It is dangerous and irresponsible. It demonstrates a complete and total callousness on the part of Simms as well as its vendors.

After my experience, I did go to the Simms web page and made my way to the “contact us” page. I wrote to them describing the incident etc and to date have not even received a reply.

Simms is an irresponsible company, incapable of dealing with faulty material even if failure of the material in question is life threatening. I wonder how their other products are.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well as I'm on the cheap side I have the other type wading staff. It is the one that folds up and it fits in a little pouch that fits on a belt. Paid a lot less than you did and it is still going strong after about 5 years of use. I believe that I paid under 30 bucks for it.

Jim

#4 ·
I'm glad you are okay. I've had enough stuff to break and wear out some. I've had pretty good results with most of the companies, Simms included. Why not give them a call and see if you can get to the bottom of it. Good luck with the new wading staff and safe adventures.

#5 ·
And there in 'hangs the problem' with folding staffs. Have a Dan Bailey (no problems at this point) but the things (have to be that way?) are really darned thin wall metal, Aluminum I suspect. In a real 'AHHHH SH-IT' one has to wonder? A old ski pole is built to take that kid of 'abuse,' but not sure how they could build a fold up with that kind of strength. Guess you 'pay's your money ($1.00) and takes your pick ($50.00).'

#6 ·
So let's say I have said wading staff. Can I return it to where I bought it? I don't want to find myself in the predicament you were in, as I only tend to use it when I really need it. I'll look into it, but it seems if they are recalling all the unsold merchandise, it would seem that it would be prudent to accept used as well?

#7 ·
Have had simms boots, waders, and chest pack. Boots (minus a eye hole or two) and waders still going strong after 3 yrs. Dry creek chest pack stitching failed after about six months, but I had a new one at the front door less than 10 days from when I sent it in (no questions asked).

That is disappointing that you were sold a recalled product. Whether that's the fault of simms or the dealer seems unclear. But at least your safe.

-matt

#8 ·
Up front, let me say that I am a Simms fan. I have many Simms products and they have served me well. Moreover Simms has given me excellent customer support when their products became worn from hard use. They have restored a set of waders and offered replacement boots at a discount.

Several years ago, I was using my Simms wading staff on the Skykomish. There is a line that runs from the staff to the holster. That line fastens to the staff end with a plastic male/female clip. While wading my clip failed and the staff was lost. Simms replaced my staff with a new one.

I was aware of the recall. I saw a notice of it in a Deneki Outdoors newsletter. So Simms obviously was attempting to spread the word.

Here is the text of the recall from the Deneki newsletter:

Today we're helping our friends at Simms Fishing Products get the word out on a voluntary recall of some of their wading staffs.

If you've purchased a Simms wading staff this year, have a read below for more details.

Simms Fishing Products
61 Evergreen Drive
Bozeman, MT 59715
877-789-6555

SIMMS FISHING PRODUCTS RECALLS WADING STAFFS
Staffs sold from March 1, 2010 through June 17, 2010

BOZEMAN, Mont. (For immediate release) - Simms Fishing Products is voluntarily recalling certain models of Simms 2010 Wading Staffs. The affected wading staffs have a detent button that may not engage or can become dislodged making the staff inoperable.

These staffs, offered in two sizes (52″ & 56″), are sterling silver in color and are identified by Simms item numbers AWS101152 or AWS101156 (UPC numbers 94264-10102 or 94264-10103). Affected Wading Staffs are visibly identifiable by a silver cable connector (see photo).

The staffs were sold through authorized Simms dealers from March 1, 2010 through June 17, 2010. About 2,000 affected products were sent to retailers. Simms estimates about 1,000 have been purchased by consumers.

The issue was identified through company testing and customer use of the wading staff. No injuries have been reported in conjunction with the defective wading staffs.

Wading Staffs meeting the above criteria should be returned for replacement or refund by contacting Simms directly at 877-789-6555, by contacting an Authorized Simms Retailer or by email at recall@simmsfishing.com.

jhoagland@simmsfishing.com
406-922-1249

#13 ·
I too have the "Branch" but the new improved design...LOL! has the fancy leather grip, shrink-tube tip protection with carbide stud so it won't slip on slimy rocks.

Best of all the price was zero, even with the up-grades!

LB

#12 ·
Seen the recall posted up on another web site several weeks ago. Checked my Simms wading staff and it is to old to be a part of the recall. Thought about reposting the recall on this site but didn't for some reason. Wish I would have now. Glad you are ok.

#16 ·
I have used a staff now for three years now. With both knees having been replaced and both heals worked on I became so tired of being wet from falling down. Do not even know the brand name any longer but it was not simms and quite sure it was not a name brand. It was the type that screws to insert one tube into another to make it smaller. It has since rusted so I can no longer make it smaller. I just clip it to the carabiner on my vest and is out of my way. When this one is no longer it will definitely get replaced. Now I have forgotten it a few times at which time I use the "stick" from "Tree" which works well. Need to find some ski poles at yard sales just to have in the truck all the time just in case.

Wouldn't leave home w/out it.

#17 ·
I'm kind of late to this discussion, but I have owned a number of wading staffs over the years and found myself at the worst point of the wade with the staff getting stuck between boulders and seperating. My solution has been an old ski pole tied with a hangmans knot around my waist and drug along behind me. Not very elegant, but that ski pole had never let me down.

#18 ·
Like Riverdancer I've had totally unsatisfactory experience with those collapsible metal staffs. The first two I got from the old GI Joes after my first year of fly fishing and falling a lot (also getting old & very unsteady), getting wet but not hurt much except for my back....anyway the first one failed to "snap itself" together after the shock cords inside got wet. Took it back, got another one....same problem. Dug out one of my old trekking poles and used that a few times but couldn't get it to "twist-unlock" anymore - besides it was too short most of the time anyhow!

A couple of years ago I found the perfect branch along the river and used my machette to trim off the bark and knots, took it home and rubbed in 3 or 4 coats of polyurethane, put on a white rubber crutch tip from Home Depot, drilled a thru hole about 10" from the top and fitted a nylon lanyard through the hole which I can then clip into a carabiner or whatever. It's about 66" long, not very pretty or straight but has saved my ass several times in the last couple of years. And yes, it completely destroys my image as an Orvis Catalogue model....sighhhh!:rofl::rofl:

Sometimes it gets in the way of my funky casting strokes or anchors, especially when casting two-handed, but....oh well!

Just felt I had to contribute to this thread - and global deforestation!:rolleyes:

Jc:clown:

#20 ·
I picked-up my favorite staff from a remote branch outlet in the Blues that happened to carry "Tree" products. No clue as to what it's made out of, but the rascal is durable. Found it in a bargain bin in an eddy, removed the protective covering, applied a couple coats sealer, a nice leather handle & lanyard, and a protective crutch tip. Works good . . . looks old & seasoned, kinda like the user . . .

#21 ·
I have been using a 20 year-old Folstaff that was handed down to me. Lately, I have been depending on it totally as I have only one eye and cannot look down without distortion - a temporary and bothersome issue. We sell 3 to Folstaffs to the Simms wading staff.

Leland.

#22 ·
Check out http://www.no-floatstix.com for a well thought out 1-piece wading staff. The top floats and the bottom sinks for good bottom grip and it won't catch your fly line.

I have many wading sticks and yes, if there is a weak point on the Simms staff, it's the lock button, otherwise, I still think it's the best multi-piece staff on the market. I don't like Folstaff type staffs because they get jammed, caught in rocks and mud and come unbuttoned too easily. 1 piece staffs are the most reliable but harder to travel with when not using them. I have an old aluminum x-country ski pole minus the basket from a thrift store that works quite well and the low budget choice. Adjustable ski/trek poles work pretty well but the adjustable joints can fail.

My best system for 1-piece carrying is to attach the tether cord to a wading belt at one hip with the cord just long enough to cross your chest and let the staff hang behind the opposite shoulder. It stays there well out of your way when not needed and is quickly accessible when needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.