Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Saved by the buoyancy of citrus
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the kind of thread that this board is for, but I found a project for my local TU chapter that I thought some of you might enjoy.

The idea is making monofilament line collectors to place around at fishing access points. Not only will it help keep our lakes and streams clean and safer for critters, it's a pretty simple project that could get group members involved in the organization (that's an issue we have with our local chapter). It could also be used as a positive PR bump.

As far as the collectors go, they are easy to assemble out of some basic PVC parts you can find at any hardware store. Here is a picture (not mine) to give you an idea of what they look like:
Liquid Product Fluid Cylinder Material property

I crunched some numbers on the material costs in Laramie, and it's not too bad. From a 10' stick of 4" PVC we would cut four 2.5' pieces to use as the collection chambers; each one would need a drain gate (to prevent birds and larger trash from getting in, $3.99), a 90° elbow ( $13.99), an adapter ($7.99), and a cleanout plug ($4.59). All told, four collectors would cost $145.23 ($153.94 after tax).

The only issues I foresee are getting approval from game and fish to put them up at the access points and having someone collect the used line regularly. I frequent some of the spots we'll put the collectors in fairly regularly, but we'll probably have to do two or three drives in the summer/fall to hit the less popular ones.

I know this isn't something that's going to fix the steelhead runs or bring down any dams, but it's a little something easy that anyone can do to help out.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
View attachment 115945 The Yakima River Headwaters TU Chapter installed them from Ensign down to Thorp last year, we empty them frequently. Great project that does make a difference!
Good on yous guys! Glad to hear you're working on ideas to help keep more plastic pollution from the river.
Out here on the ocean beaches, the amount of plastic washed up is mind numbing. Lots of tiny styrofoam pellets all over the place. (I understand that plastic has broken down into small enough particles that it has wormed its way into the metabolisms of some ocean fish and "seafood" species).
Sometimes I try to pick up larger chunks of styrofoam before it gets broken up into thousands of those particles, but any more, that just seems like a token attempt by a lone beach walker. The plastic just keeps washing in, with an endless supply.

The onshore winds blow the dry sand around above the high tide line, which buries the small plastic litter from sight on the beaches, but it is still there,waiting to be uncovered during next Winter's storm surf. A visiting tourist would probably not see much litter now, already. Its still there, only inches down.
Organized "beach cleanups" are best done mid-Winter and earlier in the Springtime while the morning winds are still blowing toward offshore (E, NE, and SE winds). Its already looking a bit late on some stretches of beach.

·
Saved by the buoyancy of citrus
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sometimes I try to pick up larger chunks of styrofoam before it gets broken up into thousands of those particles, but any more, that just seems like a token attempt by a lone beach walker.
Every little bit helps! When I remember I try to bring a trash bag with me and pick up junk I find.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Every little bit helps! When I remember I try to bring a trash bag with me and pick up junk I find.
I like this approach even more. A personal plastic bag costs pennies and if each of us did that every time we went out fishing that would make a big difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.