Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw an HMH Spartan vise for sale in the classifieds. Been several good non-true-rotary vises there lately.

Non-true-rotary vise. What a clunky name for such an elegant tool. I propose we call it a simple vise.

I've owned a bunch of vises. Ended up being a Dyna-King guy. I got a Barracuda on my bench at home. What can I say? It's got everything I need and not much in the way. But it's pretty much bolted to my bench. Doesn't go anywhere.

When I travel, I take a simple vise. I've got a couple - a Kingfisher and a Regal. Used to have a Spartan, but lost it in a move. And when I tie on one of those I think, damn, I should tie on this all the time. Sturdy and uncomplicated. One or two adjustments that stay adjusted. Hell, the Regal has zero adjustments. Simple.

If someone asked me for vise advice, I'd say snap up one of those simple ones in the classifieds.

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
I have and use a rotary (Renzetti). But buried in my bug box I also have a mint Price Vise. Doesn’t see daylight much but I still like it a lot. Great “simple” vise. I consider it my traveler but haven’t taken a tying kit in quite a while. You can rotate the fly for inspection or gluing, and has a detent at 180.

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
I kind'a collect vises but the one I use the majority of the time is my Barracuda Jr. I also own a HMH Spartan and other than the fact it isn't a true rotary, it's a danged fine vise.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Saw an HMH Spartan vise for sale in the classifieds. Been several good non-true-rotary vises there lately.

Non-true-rotary vise. What a clunky name for such an elegant tool. I propose we call it a simple vise.

I've owned a bunch of vises. Ended up being a Dyna-King guy. I got a Barracuda on my bench at home. What can I say? It's got everything I need and not much in the way. But it's pretty much bolted to my bench. Doesn't go anywhere.

When I travel, I take a simple vise. I've got a couple - a Kingfisher and a Regal. Used to have a Spartan, but lost it in a move. And when I tie on one of those I think, damn, I should tie on this all the time. Sturdy and uncomplicated. One or two adjustments that stay adjusted. Hell, the Regal has zero adjustments. Simple.

If someone asked me for vise advice, I'd say snap up one of those simple ones in the classifieds.
Love my Spartan vise...

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
I've tied on a Baraccuda for years, and just recently added a Stonfo Transformer, so I am not at all one to talk much about the merits of simplicity, but I agree with your overall point. Those vises referenced in the classifieds are extremely solid vises that would last someone a lifetime and tie any fly anyone would ever need to tie.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I got a tying kit when I first started in fly fishing. Back then there wasn't any internet to get advice from. I used that until I got better. I still sucked at tying flies, but they worked. My wife got me a Gorilla vise. It was in a nice little wooden case with velvet lining. I used that until I was tying some flies for Aaron at River Run Anglers. We set up a deal That I would ties a few flies using the weave method. I would tie up flies and he would give me credit on a Nor Vise. I used that for a while and then the shakes started. I quit tying a little after that.

My wife got me a Peak vise for a Christmas present I used to tie off and on since the shakes. Did a few Fly swaps, would like to try again but being I'm and old man. I don't think I can.

Oh, that picture on my Avatar is 81 years old.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I started out with the Thompson A vise. Simple and worked great. Then moved on to a Regal. But never being happy, then got a Dyna-King Barracuda. Worked great for large hooks- 4 and up. I did get the midge jaws but never was happy with the hook holding. The rotary on the Barracuda is the best. Then I moved on to the Renzetti 4000 ( a traveler for traveling). Great vice, really holds a hook. The perfect vice to me would be the Renzetti jaws on the Barracuda body. Of course, one could tie with out a vice like Lee Wolf. I tried that once and only once.

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
Renzetti Traveler and 4000 are different vises I think. The 4000 is just under the Master in price, and in my eye prettier. It’s certainly more that I need, but I like using it. However it’s not a “simple” vise per the definition offered here.
BTW, I’ve never heard or read a bad word on the Renzetti Traveler. Most folks love them.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Everyone will have their own preference so getting advice on this topic is worthless. You need to try it out at your local shop. I tied for many many years on an Thompson "A" and finally changed out to an HMH standard as the orientation of the fly was the same. It is not a "true" rotary, but works fine. I did look pretty hard at the Renzetti as so many like it, but could not get used to the way the fly is held at an angle for spinning.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts

I so understand. My heavy as heck pedestal Regal stays home, and I have a Thompson Pro vise that is my travel vise. It's super light, holds hooks well, and most places I go there is somewhere so can clamp it. It's come in handy many times.

Keep It Simple.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW, I've never heard or read a bad word on the Renzetti Traveler. Most folks love them.
Let me break the ice.

I think I had the first version of the Traveller. Before the cam jaws. Maybe they're better now, but I could never get the adjustments tight. Seems like I had to tighten one knob or another several times during the course of tying a single fly. Hated it.

I replaced that vise with a Spartan and have never looked at a Renzetti since. I might be the only one who doesn't like them, though.

·
The wanted posters say Tim Hartman
2,100 Posts
I've tied on a Baraccuda for years, and just recently added a Stonfo Transformer
That vise is pretty hi-tech looking. I believe it comes with 3 different jaw sets for regular, streamer and tubes, right? How are you liking it, Nick?

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
Hmmm, well I believe you. I can say that my 4000 still has the screw vs cam upgrade. I’ve never had a problem and like it fine. But, there may be a different mechanism, I don’t know.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
That vise is pretty hi-tech looking. I believe it comes with 3 different jaw sets for regular, streamer and tubes, right? How are you liking it, Nick?
I've only been tying on it for a few days so far, maybe 4 dozen flies or so, but so far I really really like it.

It does come with three heads as you mention. So far I've used the standard head the most but the streamer and tube heads will be getting plenty of use in the near future. So far this vise effortlessly holds any hook I've thrown in it.

It's smaller than my Barracuda, lighter, and doesn't have as much room for my hands but I really prefer how the standard jaws hold src sized hooks and think I prefer it overall so far to the Barracuda for flies of that size range (2-8). I've never had the best luck with the Barracuda with flies in the 6-8 size range.

I wish the pedestal base was heavier, but I love the shape and the recessed areas for hooks and beads. The tool caddy section is pretty darn handy the more I get used to it. There is also a little thread holder piece under the material clip that you can hang your bobbin off of while wrapping materials that is genius.

It remains to be seen if I will like it as much as the Barracuda for tying huge stuff. I kinda doubt it, and thats less of a knock on the Stonfo as it is a nod to the Cuda as I just don't think there is a better vise for tying huge stuff.

Not cheap but for a single vise that would literally cover all possible tying needs its pretty damn nice.

·
Uck Uck Uck, bitches
7,589 Posts
Ironically I have given away 3 vises to kids...guess some here might need one...I mean it is a well known bit of hyperbole that tying your own saves you a ton of money... ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.