Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a medium speed sink tip line. Went to the fly shop today and the guy sold me an "extra super fast sinking" line. Foolish question, but do I just attach this to the end of the medium sink portion of the line, or should I attach it to my floating line? Sorry if this is a painfully simple answer, but I'm extremely new to fly fishing. Thanks for any help...

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
you can do either or but I'd just attach the entire 15' to the floating line + 3 ft tippet

I think the polyleaders that are extra fast sinking are roughly 7ips...be careful of hangups, I was out there yesterday and water level relatively low + 7ft of T-14 = lost many flies.

·
Piscatorial predilection
2,439 Posts
Tisk-Tisk! guy's when the rivers, like the Sauk, are at this low flow and clarity it's time to lighten up on the fast sinking lines and T-14. Duh!
Lighter sink-tip's and floating lines with lighter, longer leaders as well as lighter (weight not color) and smaller profile fly's, are needed. These are also
good conditions for....dare I say it?....indicator (bobber) fishing, if your into that.
"=LOST MANY FLIES" ....really? I'd say that's the price of knowledge gained.

LB

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
Tisk-Tisk! guy's when the rivers, like the Sauk, are at this low flow and clarity it's time to lighten up on the fast sinking lines and T-14. Duh!
Lighter sink-tip's and floating lines with lighter, longer leaders as well as lighter (weight not color) and smaller profile fly's, are needed. These are also
good conditions for....dare I say it?....indicator (bobber) fishing, if your into that.
"=LOST MANY FLIES" ....really? I'd say that's the price of knowledge gained.

LB
You would've thought I would've learned after the first couple flies, but somewhere it didn't click in my brain that I should change that sink tip out :)

Now after a few more flies and a couple hours later...then I switched it out.

·
Piscatorial predilection
2,439 Posts
You would've thought I would've learned after the first couple flies, but somewhere it didn't click in my brain that I should change that sink tip out :)

Now after a few more flies and a couple hours later...then I switched it out.
Ha-Ha! a small price for the knowledge you gained from it though. Truth is, I remember learning it exactly the same way!

LB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.