Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sinking heads: Can you cast them well?

Spey 
803 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
what types of casts are you having success with to get them out of the water and back out without a roll-up cast?

#4 ·
I was on the OP this weekend chasing silvers ... ended up changing tactics and used an S4 sinking scandi line on my Winston 7133 ... initially could handle it but had to switch cast it up to the surface ... then I stuck on a 10 foot extra fast sinking poly leader inbetween the head and the leader/fly combo ... it turned into too long of a sinking line for me to try to single spey ... and a double spey worked well. With sinking lines there is less of a margin for error. Anchor placement has to be right on ... and a nice slow high lift on the start ... Using sinking lines is a bit of work but it will make you a better caster.
I will admit I gave up after a while as a skagit head was so much more enjoyable to cast ... and gave me the same results.

Steve

#7 ·
It's all about the lift.. start with the rod tip right at or in the water and lift to get the sinktip up near the surface. I personally like the Snap T, but Kerry is right the double will work. Circle cast is good as well, but the lift is key. If you do your lift and there's too much slack to get the sinktip up and out of the water, a Perry Poke is a great cast to do and then right into your single spey.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.