Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the opinion of this shop, I rarely make it up north these days and haven't been in this shop for years. How's the service, selection, experience, et cetera?
Is Kim W. still running the shop?

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
Kim is still running the shop most of the time. He has a couple of guys that will work a day or two each week for him. Both are pretty decent people.

My opinion might be a bit biased because Kim is a good friend but then again Kim became a friend from me shopping at his store. I won't spend money at a business if I thought they were out to screw me. As time went on we did a lot of fishing together. Kim has always been straight with me. I know that he has pissed a couple of people off in his 20 some odd years of being in the fishing tackle business, but anyone who has been in business that long must be doing something right and probably has made a mistake or two along the way. At any rate I recommend the store to anyone.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm somewhat of a regular customer there and have always been satisfied with the service and selection, but then again I have never been in a fly shop that I didn't like. They also have the best selection of fly tying stuff in the area. Kim is very helpful and is usually pretty open with giving advise. A couple times I've gone in there needing a repair on something such as a rod tip and he will fix it free of charge. If your in the area I would recomend stopping by.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've been in the shop a couple of times during the past two years. I kind of insisted that my brother-in-law go with me the first time because I was trying to get him in interested in fly fishing and it looked like a good shop to me. Had all the "right stuff" it seemed and was close to where he lives. They were not as helpful as I hoped they would be, even though I spent some money with them. Reserved is probably the best way to put it. Since then, I've got much friendlier and helpful service from Hook, Line and Sinker and the Mazama Fly Shop, so I don't think that me being a stranger to them was the only aspect. My brother-in-law has done some business with them since then, and he seems to be happy with them, so this may be a cultural thing. The guide that I do most of my business with here in Colorado Springs was in Seattle last summer and when he came back he said that he couldn't get anything out of the flyshop he visited - not even, "here's an area to look at." A lot of the fisherman that I have run into in Washington are pretty tight lipped - exceptions being those on this site which I unfortunately have never met.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I was in Mount Vernon for work for a day and stopped in there last fall for the first and only time. The shop was empty except for one employee who was very forthcoming with fishing information on Skagit searuns and silvers. I ended up buying a few flies. The only problem is that the streets in that part of Mount Vernon are a little screwy for out-of-towners with one ways and restricted turns. I had to drive around in a couple of circles before I was able to reach the place.

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Time to 'fess up

The reason I asked about this shop is a mutual friend called me yesterday and said that Kim wants to sell his shop. His house remodeling is more rewarding at this point. I haven't been up to the shop and wanted to poll the group to see what kind of reputation it has. I'm looking a leaving Boeing and this is right up my alley, so to speak. Thanks all for the input.
Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.