Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just bought some T-11 that I plan to cut into smaller pieces ie. 5ft, 8ft, 10ft or whatever. My question is this. Should I add a skagit cheater to my 27 foot 550 grain skagit head if I'm using a 5 or 8ft length of T-11? I'm asking because I know that you should be maintaining that ratio of 3-3.5 times the length of the rod. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Brian

·
Friendly
2,004 Posts
Cheaters can be very helpful when it comes to casting, but there are many variables when it comes to how long of a cheater you need. The guide line of 3 to 3.5 has changed a bit. Now anywhere from 2.25 to 3.5 can be used. Allot of it has to do with the cast itself the speed of current and the weight of flies you are throwing.

To start off with I would take your longest piece of T that should be the easiest to cast as long as you are not overpowering the rod. If you like the fill of it, and it cast well add cheaters to the shorter lengths to try and get the same amount of stick. If your 10' piece of T10 is still hard to cast add a short to medium length cheater to get it to where it cast good.

As your lengths of t10 get shorter it will become more difficult to maintain an anchor, so the length of cheater should increase.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Simple answer that I've used for years (yes .. I am older than dirt ... :>( ) Just use a 2-3 foot of 20-30 pound test of 'Maxima' (whomever s) main line (you will have to cut to fit the rod/casting stroke .. trust me on this one) AND a 'cheater' is money down the drain. Used this (rod/line/fly directs) and you'll spend a couple of pennies vs $$$.

My story, and I'm sticking too it.
fae

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Fred,

I'm not sure that I understand completely. Are you attaching the 20-30# Maxima to the existing 27ft head and then adding the T-11 to the Maxima section?

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.