Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ignored Member
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.goskagit.com/home/article/search_to_continue_today_for_boy_who_fell_into_skagit_river/

I hate crap like this. Talked to a sherriff's deputy when I was cutt fishing this morning below Mt. Vernon and some others in a search boat. They asked that I keep an eye out for the boy which, not wanting to think about it, I already was. I was at Wholesale Sports in Burlington when the boy went in and drove along the river where the boy was lost on my way home witnessing the initial search.
Very tragic.

Damn it, be careful out there. The rivers are cold and dangerous.

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
Very sad. Kerry, how is flow on the Skagit this time of year there by Riverside Dr? I passed by there many times in the fall and winter and the river was something fierce! It just plain out looks dangerous. This is truly a shame. I've been told, many have suffered the same fate on that part of the river.

·
Ignored Member
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very sad. Kerry, how is flow on the Skagit this time of year there by Riverside Dr? I passed by there many times in the fall and winter and the river was something fierce! It just plain out looks dangerous. This is truly a shame. I've been told, many have suffered the same fate on that part of the river.
The river is running at normal flows right now but the water of the lower Skagit is deceptively strong. Many people under estimate the strength of the water because it seems slow and calm. Also, once out of the shallows it gets very cold. First the cold shocks them, panic sets in, then the power of all that water carries them off.

·
Ignored Member
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike, that is normal for this time of year and quite fishable. Matter of fact this morning the river was perfect for cutthroat fishing. You should see it when it is in full melt off mode or better yet when she decides to flood. At flood stage the flow will be 30 to 40 thousand cfs.

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
There was a time I was cutting through on my way from Anacortes. The river was amazingly high! Looked like it was going to come up through the bridge. It couldn't have been more than 6 feet or so from coming over the sides and into town. I pulled over on the west side and watched the river. I was lost for words.

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,159 Posts
An old Scots saying from the Hebrides; "A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. But we do be afraid of the sea, and we do only be drownded now and again. ". Sadly, most of us believe we're immortal when we're young. I wish these things would never occur.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.